Bighorn SR3 shouldered prefit

My gunsmith build my .270 AI on a Savage 110 action without any issues. It does .5 MOA at 1K yards if I do my part. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of BHA and I like my SR2 extremely well.
I seriously doubt your smith chambered and threaded a shouldered barrel for a savage without ever having seen it. If I'm wrong you need to find a different smith. I think you misunderstood what Greyfox was asking.

I seriously doubt your smith chambered and threaded a shouldered barrel for a savage without ever having seen it. If I'm wrong you need to find a different smith. I think you misunderstood what Greyfox was asking.

I don't think I misunderstood jcoop or Greyfox's posts but perhaps I misunderstood yours. Sorry to disappoint you but I do not need to find another gunsmith as he has served me well since 2003. He has done plenty of shouldered barrel for Savage actions. One of these days, when I save $$$ I'll have him build me one of his barrel block system ...

Young's barrel block system 2.jpg
Young's barrel block system.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
I don't think I misunderstood jcoop or Greyfox's posts but perhaps I misunderstood yours. Sorry to disappoint you but I do not need to find another gunsmith as he has served me well since 2003. He has done plenty of shouldered barrel for Savage actions. One of these days, when I save $$$ I'll have him build me one of his barrel block system ...

View attachment 130375 View attachment 130376

Cheers!

What savage action is that??

View attachment 130375 View attachment 130376

Cheers!

The question was not about whether or not you could have a savage action with a shoulder. It was about if the tolerances were tight enough to do it without the action in hand or having measured it in the past. Savages are far from having tolerances tight enough to prefit a shouldered barrel period. You obviously are not seeing the point of the question. Even great actions like Defiance vary enough that no gunsmith I have talked to will do a prefit shouldered barrel for one.

The question was not about whether or not you could have a savage action with a shoulder. It was about if the tolerances were tight enough to do it without the action in hand or having measured it in the past. Savages are far from having tolerances tight enough to prefit a shouldered barrel period. You obviously are not seeing the point of the question. Even great actions like Defiance vary enough that no gunsmith I have talked to will do a prefit shouldered barrel for one.

I got that part, I simply noted my gunsmith built me one without any issues. I never said said anything else but that. Yes my gunsmith took the task without seeing my Savage action and yes he squared the face of my action when he chambered and installed my Lilja barrel. What I do not get is why you are so defensive. What part of my response offended you to comment I needed a new gunsmith? I thought we are having a civil conversation.

Last edited:
I got that part, I simply noted my gunsmith built me one without any issues. I never said said anything else but that. Yes my gunsmith took the task without seeing my Savage action and yes he squared the face of my action when he chambered and installed my Lilja barrel. What I do not get is why you are so defensive. What part of my response offended you to comment I needed a new gunsmith? I thought we are having a civil conversation.

I am not sure were you decided this was not "civil"? I will stand by my statement. It is your money do what you wish. To any new guys reading this call twenty REPUTABLE gunsmiths and see how many will chamber and thread a shouldered prefit for a Savage or Remington action. My guess is ZERO. There is a reason for this. The floating bolt head has zero effect on whether or not the headspace is consistent action to action so I do not understand your inclusion of the video. I do not have time to argue with you. I have had several Savages and the headspace varies far more than I would ever trust to just throw on a barrel and go. I have been told by more than one reputable gunsmith that even Defiance actions vary in headspace by .005-.006". To the OP are shouldered barrels that are done correctly better than using a nut? If all else is equal I say no. Shouldered barrels are slightly quicker to change and this is why I prefer them. I would not hesitate to use a nut on my Bighorn if I found a great deal on a barrel or if I was in a bind and needed a barrel fast and a Savage prefit was in stock somewhere.

Yes my gunsmith took the task without seeing my Savage action and yes he squared the face of my action when he chambered and installed my Lilja barrel.

Is it possible that your gunsmith still had the specs from your savage action and made one based off the old one he made? I have heard of that before. But, for a gunsmith to blindly turn a shouldered barrel sounds wrong

I am not sure were you decided this was not "civil"? I will stand by my statement. It is your money do what you wish. To any new guys reading this call twenty REPUTABLE gunsmiths and see how many will chamber and thread a shouldered prefit for a Savage or Remington action. My guess is ZERO. There is a reason for this. The floating bolt head has zero effect on whether or not the headspace is consistent action to action so I do not understand your inclusion of the video. I do not have time to argue with you. I have had several Savages and the headspace varies far more than I would ever trust to just throw on a barrel and go. I have been told by more than one reputable gunsmith that even Defiance actions vary in headspace by .005-.006". To the OP are shouldered barrels that are done correctly better than using a nut? If all else is equal I say no. Shouldered barrels are slightly quicker to change and this is why I prefer them. I would not hesitate to use a nut on my Bighorn if I found a great deal on a barrel or if I was in a bind and needed a barrel fast and a Savage prefit was in stock somewhere.

You are the one who decided on arguing. I simply responded to your post that my gunsmith took the tasking without him seeing my action. He is a very reputable gunsmith that I have been dealing with since 2003 otherwise, I will not be a return customer. And yes, you are correct it is my hard earned money and personal decision to make, not yours!

To the OP, my sincere apologies, this kind of exchanges was never my intent.

Last edited:
Is it possible that your gunsmith still had the specs from your savage action and made one based off the old one he made? I have heard of that before. But, for a gunsmith to blindly turn a shouldered barrel sounds wrong

No Sir, I never said he blindly turn shouldered barrel. He took the job without actually seeing the Savage action, he then squared my action necessary to properly mate with the barrel. I have always trusted him to do the right thing.

No Sir, I never said he blindly turn shouldered barrel. He took the job without actually seeing the Savage action, He then squared my action necessary to properly mate with the barrel. I have always trusted him to do the right thing.

Gotcha, I guess I just got confused when I read your post.

No Sir, I never said he blindly turn shouldered barrel. He took the job without actually seeing the Savage action, he then squared my action necessary to properly mate with the barrel. I have always trusted him to do the right thing.

So, did he have your action in hand at some point before putting a barrel on it?

So, did he have your action in hand at some point before putting a barrel on it?

Yes, I gave him both the action (with the old barrel) and Lilja barrel at the same time. Regardless, if he sees it before hand or not, he will always do what it takes to at least square the face (Savage or custom) it to properly mate it with the barrel properly. My action did not require blueprinting. My BHA SR2 LA did not require any additional work when he built my custom rifle. IIRC, his rate for threading and chambering barrel is $250. He did not charge me for squaring the face of the action or removal of the old barrel.

Yes, I gave him both the action (with the old barrel) and Lilja barrel at the same time. Regardless, if he sees it before hand or not, he will always do what it takes to at least square the face (Savage or custom) it to properly mate it with the barrel properly. My action did not require blueprinting. My BHA SR2 LA did not require any additional work when he built my custom rifle. IIRC, his rate for threading and chambering barrel is $250. He did not charge me for squaring the face of the action or removal of the old barrel.

Now we have come full circle. You are not talking about the same thing that Greyfox and I are talking about. Bighorn actions have such tight tolerances that the do not need to be in the hands of a gunsmith to get a chambered, threaded, shouldered barrel. This was the entire point of Greyfox's question. You can order a barrel just as I described from several gun smiths and even straight from Proof Research. With a large majority of other actions the gunsmith must fit to the specific action due to poor tolerances. I ordered two barrels so far for my Bighorn SR3. Once I received them I installed them with a barrel wrench and vise and was ready to go with no nut and no time without my action in my hand. As I stated previously PVA will apparently do this for a few other actions but I have no experience with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.