Best scent blockers for out west near mountains

wildcat westerner

Hello,
Long ago I was a serious Senior member of the Pope and Young club. I learned about the lessons deer hunting tree stands for whitetails in the Midwest. I am retired to the Rockies and have discovered a unit with mountains, a National park and huge amounts of national forests , BLM land and a month long archery season.
I have just one P&Y Mulie from long, long ago in Colorado and realized with my mobility Impaired issues if I am going to ever get another it will be in locating a pond or wallow in the high areas and set up my stand and ground blind at 90 degrees to each other so that no matter the wind I shall have a place to hunt, no matter the wind on that day. I know that with old, wild Mulies, if you get winded, they probably won't be back for a month.
With that in mind, and realizing once I set these stands up, I am committed there for all season.

Of all these scent blockers etc. which one is best for the long term? I know already that keeping scent contained is best done in the blind. Is there a scent blocker that works best in the swirling, mountain breezes? Of all these that claim long term usage, do you know one you would trust more than any other?

I keep my scent lock suits in the scent crusher bags and I tried this product for the first time on recommendation from a friend. While hunting in Kentucky I saw nine deer eight of which came from down wind including my biggest buck so far.
IMG_6118.jpeg
IMG_6117.jpeg
IMG_5756.jpeg

Last edited:
We swore by Sentloc suits years ago while bear hunting . I havent had one on in 25 years ... just keep you clothes sent free and unscented deodorant and work thr Wind . Sure your going to get caught once in awhile but things will come together for you if your Persistent!!
Best of Luck to you !

Rum Man

I've done the scent control stuff to the extreme and never fully convinced myself it was worth it. I still store my stuff in totes and use scent free detergent/deoderant and scent blocker spray. Killed my archery elk last season from a blind in a draw with the wind swirling everywhere. I was in the blind 4 hours and had animals in every direction at one point from 8 yds to 75 and had to wait until well after dark to get out of the blind and retrieve my animal. Last two big bucks Ive shot were 40 and 10 yds away and both came in with my scent blowing right to them. I say sometimes it matters and sometimes it doesn't, hunt the wind first and foremost and there's nothing wrong with scent control but I don't go crazy with it anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_0513.jpeg
    IMG_0513.jpeg
    246.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8541.jpeg
    IMG_8541.jpeg
    625.5 KB · Views: 21
I hunted black bears with an outfitter that was crazy about scent control. Everyone was careful to shower each evening and all of our clothing was put in an out -building to keep lodge scents away from out hunting clothes. On the way to our stands, we stopped at creeks and walked in the water to remove scent from our boot bottoms. Just before we walked to our stands, the guide would spray us down, head to toe, with scent blocker.

I hunted from a high ladder stand that was heavily camouflaged with local vegetation. One evening two mature bears and two cubs came in just after dark. They went to the bait, which was 20yds away. I didn't move or make a sound. Eventually the big sow walked over and climbed my stand to check me out.

It's very hard to fool an animal's sense of smell.