Best pump gun???

J300UM

I'm gonna buy my dad a new shotgun for christmas. He's been wanting a nice pump action which makes me happy as they tend to be pretty cheap. He likes traditional wood stock/blued steel guns. I'm looking at the browning bps right now. I want to get him the nicest gun I can and I just wanted to hear what some of you would prefer and why. Thanks!

I don't think you'll beat a Winchester Model 12. If you look hard enough you will find one chambered for 3" mags. Send it to Briley for screw-in choke tubes and you're set.

One of the most dependable pumps according to most guides is the 870 wingmaster
by Remingtion.

The main thing is the fit of the gun to the hunter for wing shooting.(Length of pull,
drop and offset).

Just another choice
J E CUSTOM

+1 for the 870. They have a 100th Anniversary edition which is great looking: Model 870™ Wingmaster® 100th Anniversary

or you could go with the regular wingmaster: Remington Model 870™ Wingmaster®

Although your dad asked for a pump, he might like a semi-auto. They tend to tame the recoil of the big loads. For that, go with the Remington 11-87 Premiere if you can find one.

One nice feature of the Browning BPS is that it is a bottom ejector, so both left and right handed people can shoot it.

Whether you go with one of the Remingtons or the Browning, they will all shoot the light 2 3/4 loads up to the 3" magnums.

for a good pump gun you can't not mention the 870. i shoot mainly 3 1/2" shells and it handles those with ease.

I've broke two winchester 1300's and my friend has broke two of them as well.
870 is a reliable, go to, shotgun that will do anything you ask it to.

i'm sure the bps is a good gun, just no personal experience with them.

you don't really say what your Dad wants to do with this pump shotgun? or dose he just want one? which is great too.
the browning bps is a very nice gun! if he wants to shoot trap it comes in a trap model with stepped rib for a raising target and bottom ejection.
for a H/D shotgun i would say a Remington 870, very soild gun!!

Well I see others have beaten me to the punch and listed the Remington 870 Wingmaster as the best pump shotgum, and I must agree. can you buy a more expensive pump sure but, if your Dad is a good hunter he will appreciate the overall features of the "Wingmaster". He will fall in love with it's performance and it's wood stock.

I vote for the BPS as well, modern gun as smooth from the factory as the Rem 31.
As for the Model 12.... a well made shotgun but I like vent ribs and screw in chokes

I have both of them. And both of them are excellent shotguns. BUT in my experience the Remington 870, is tougher, faster, and nicer, shoots any shell, and in my case is harder to get the 870 blocked than the BPS, the bottom ejector on the BPS sometimes gets caught with two shells when you are shooting really fast.
That is my opinion, hope it helps.