Best Nf atacr for hunting?

Be aware the 4-20 tunnels from like 4-5.5 or so, while the 4-16x50 does not. I don't own a 4-16x42 but my understanding is that those do not tunnel. The 5-25x56 F2 tunnels from about 5-7. What that means is that the 5-25 is effectively a 7-25, and the 420 a 5.5-20, at least from a FOV perspective.

To me it comes down to how much you need the low end…if a woods / whitetail hunter I would get a scope that doesn't tunnel.

Last edited:
I have two 4-16x42 on my primary hunting rifles ( Mil C ) and one on a AR ( Mil XT ). I find it to be one of the best crossover scopes money can buy and I absolutely love the turrets and overall size. I build my rifles around the scope I intend on using so I have no worries about the weight. I think it also depends on how and where you hunt. I don't take shots over 600 yards on game. I'm usually at 10-12x. If you like to be in the middle to upper end of the magnification range get the 4-20 as the 4-16 reticle get a little big at max magnification as do all first focal plan scoops for longer shots. In the end it's personal preference and if you can look at them in person that will help make a better decision.

If you can find one get a 4-16 42mm SFP. They discontinued it a few years ago. At 16x it has a small FOV but with the big 34mm the 42mm obj is ok and gathers plenty of light and it saves weight. They only make the 4-16 50mm now in SFP. Second only to your binos - high end rifle glass is the top of the pile of what you need to reach for when hunting wide open areas.

4-16x42 ATACR

Doesn't tunnel like other ATACRs, 30oz, best available elevation turret, and better version of Mil-C reticle for hunting.

All perspectives I guess. If your transitioning from a vx3 to an atacr she's a chunk. But if you've been rocking a razor gen 2... it's light as a feather.
There are always trade offs and compromises we must deal with in scopes for hunting. Some want the toughest scope they can find for the peace of mind while hunting in very rough conditions. Some want light weight for the ease of carrying while hunting. Make a choice. If my life depended on the function of the scope, NF ATACR would be my choice. Not for chasing deer all day in the hills and fields.