Best lubricant for a cerakoted rifle bolt?

bowhunthard88

What is the best lubricant for a Cerakoted rifle bolt? Looking to primarily reduce finish wear, which is bound to happen.

Thanks for your input!

Basically the same, it seems that when I see rifles come back after cerakoting the ones that are obviously lubed wear more the cerakote will bunish and get slick as long as nothing is holding grit for it to work on.

Basically the same, it seems that when I see rifles come back after cerakoting the ones that are obviously lubed wear more the cerakote will bunish and get slick as long as nothing is holding grit for it to work on.

What about dry lubes line hBN?

I have become a true believer in Cerakote for finish durability. My most heavily used hunting rifle(Cooper)over the past seven years has shown no wear of the finish of the actions surfaces. Perhaps this has more to do with the basic fittment and quality of the action, but the usual high wear areas of my action requires very close inspection to find even one or two wear marks the size of a pencil point. I have never thought much about the effect of lubricants on the finish as the Cerakote seems impervious to oil based lubricants. My practice has been to wipe the finished surfaces with a very minimal amount of RemOil on a rag to clean it up, then wipe it dry. Only the bolt lug/cam contact ares get a small drop of the same lubricant. The outside surfaces are the same as when the rifle was new, the only exception being a hairline sized ring at the muzzle edge from rubbing against the floor of a bouncing truck..

Cerakote is a great coating if you must run it dry as long as applying cerakote hasn't bound the bolt up from lack of clearance. They do a coating just for bolts called slick that doesn't need anything.

I have become a true believer in Cerakote for finish durability. My most heavily used hunting rifle(Cooper)over the past seven years has shown no wear of the finish of the actions surfaces. Perhaps this has more to do with the basic fittment and quality of the action, but the usual high wear areas of my action requires very close inspection to find even one or two wear marks the size of a pencil point. I have never thought much about the effect of lubricants on the finish as the Cerakote seems impervious to oil based lubricants. My practice has been to wipe the finished surfaces with a very minimal amount of RemOil on a rag to clean it up, then wipe it dry. Only the bolt lug/cam contact ares get a small drop of the same lubricant. The outside surfaces are the same as when the rifle was new, the only exception being a hairline sized ring at the muzzle edge from rubbing against the floor of a bouncing truck..

Same here, I had an action, bolt, rings and other hardware Cerakoted in 2010. It is hunted with more than any rifle I own and the coating on the bolt except for the lugs kept dry, looks as new. However, I just got a model 700 back from Cerakoting and I could hardly move the bolt. Took 3hrs of working the bolt back and forth, but the bolt is now butter smooth with no lube except the lugs. I'm a big fan of Cerakote.

morning, very good info. I just had a 257Wbee made on a Rem. 700

action. I had the action and barrel cerakoted separately. the

finish is sniper grey. I am building a Rem. 722 action and hart barrel

in 22-250AI. all parts r cerakoted sniper grey. this coating is the best!!! just me.

THK. U lightbulbgun)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts