Best handheld radio?

rapidhunt

What's a really good handheld radio for spot and stalk? Was on a hunt this weekend and the radios I had suck. Something that reaches far but it also clear

Are you listening to music while you hunt? I personally like large shoulder mounted boom box's 😜

I assume you are referring to "walkie-talkies" ---- Motorola has always been the "standard" but it depends on how large of a unit you are looking to carry---- walkie's (like anything that broadcasts a signal) has limits to how far you can broadcast before the gvt steps In and has regulations

Small hand-held 2 wsy radios are the least -- cb's amd uhf are next (they do sell handheld cb's)-- then comes ham radio and gmrs (you need a license and call sign for that)

In a nutshell you want to look at the "power output" and get the highest output you can find

How far do you want to broadcast/receive?

Icom VHF are the best Ive used over the years, rugged and dependable, great battery life and they are very clear.

ICOM model 73 is what our group uses.

Good Luck.

Country
ICOM Marine VHF radios
America has more stringent transceiver regulations than here in Australia I can't imagine using marine radios in land or not legal considering every frequency has an allocation.

Icom VHF are the best Ive used over the years, rugged and dependable, great battery life and they are very clear.

ICOM model 73 is what our group uses.

Good Luck.

Country
Can it be plugged into a cigarette lighter plug to provide power when you are not walking?
So far I've only been able to find rechargeable walkie talkies, but none for a 12V power source.
I need something for communication when moving about and working on my ranch, so my wife and helper can reach me.

I use the motorola t800. Rechargable with Micro USB cable, so easy to have it plugged in your car or UTV. You can also take the battery pack out and use standard batteries. Motoral also has an app I use. I have one radio tied to my i-Phone and one to my wife's. I can text her even when I do not have cell coverage, as long as I have walkie-talkie coverage. Not sure if the range is long enough for you.

Last edited:
What's a really good handheld radio for spot and stalk? Was on a hunt this weekend and the radios I had suck. Something that reaches far but it also clear
image.jpg

Technically Marine VHF is illegal to use broadcasting from land, with an exception in the regs for broadcasting nearshore to vessels off shore.

People do it, probably no one is checking, but it is illegal.

With that said they work very well.