Best FFP scope for the buck?

• Thread starter Deleted member 107796
  • Start date
Athlon is a great option. All there scopes are Chinese glass other than the Cronus BTR it's Japanese. I own the Cronus BTR and its fantastic for the price point. How far are you shooting? I have no experience with any of there other scopes but I hear they are all really good for there price points. You get the same warranty as Vortex. What magnification range are you looking for? What's your budget? What are you going to use it for hunting or shooting long range? Both? Looking for a 30 or 34mm tube? Do you like a certain reticle? Thin or thick? Illuminated or not? There are a lot of variables to consider. And everyone has an opinion! Leupold, Vortex, Bushnell, Meopta, Burris, etc.. all have good options. I would figure out what your budget is and what features you want. That would really help narrowing down what scopes are available to you.

The Athlon Ares BTR Gen II is on sale at cameraland for a steal right now, and Doug is one of the best people you can buy from. I would suggest giving him a call and seeing what your options would be.

I'd check the classifieds on here regularly, some killer deals pop up.

On the earlier Leupold Mk3HD comment, as far as I know those are all SFP.

Check out Sightron STAC. I have 5 Sightron scopes, 4 SIII's and 1 STAC. The SIII's are made in Japan, the STAC is Philippines. I have the 4-20X50 STAC SFP and its a good dependable scope. Turrets are nice and repeatable, glass is good but not quite as good as the SIII. Sightron has a FFP version of the STAC thats has IR and zero stop for around $700. Its a lot of scope for the money.

I'm new to FFP scopes and on a budget so would like to ask your opinions on what has the best quality for the buck. thanks
I live not far from the Cabelas's north of Denver. My buddies and I have had very good luck with their Covenant tactical brand of scopes. 6-24x50 and 4-16x44. Both with FFP and SFP. On sale from $199 to $300. Between all of us we own over 15 of them. One employee told me he thought they were made by Vortex but I have not been able to confirm that. Reticle tracking and repeatable up and down MOA movements are right on. I own 5 and have only had to return one early on. They used to have lifetime warranty until bass pro bought them. We have them on 308, 6.5 CM and 22LR. For a budget they are worth looking at.

If your budget is on the lower end for FFP scopes, fwiw, I put a Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP 4-16x44 on my young son's 6.5 CM, for approx $350-400.
Not a lot of use yet in the field, but no issues so far. It's been a good value, so far, and he's getting an early start on learning to use FFP.
[h3][/h3]

I've been running 3 of the Athlon Midas Tac's for 2-3 yrs now. Two are the 6-24x50 and the 3rd is the 5-25x56 (34mm tube). Have put them on things as light recoiling as a 22 LR used for NRL22X matches where we dial and shoot out to 500 yds. As heavy recoiling as my LR muzzleloader where i'm shooting out to 600 yds and a 6.5x47 where I shoot out to 1000 yds. Plenty clear enough and consistent dialups.

Ok, all you scope snob are going to have a fit but here goes! I'm the guy that can't see the crosshairs of a FFP scope at the lowest magnification in low light situations. I use my scopes for hunting and I'm most content with a 3x9. I normally run Nikon Monarch scopes on all my hunting rifles with no complaints. But I came across a Monstrum 3-9 FFP illuminated BDC reticle scope at a stupid low price, $150. I figured it was crap but if I signed up for a Amazon card I could get another $60 off. At $90 I thought, WTH, I'll try it! I am stunned! With its 30 mm tube and 40mm objective this is a perfect compact scope. I used it on the last hunt of the year and a non legal deer came out just at the last 10 minutes of legal hunting time, 30 minutes after sunset. Normally at his point I have to dial back my scope to its lower power to have enough light transmission to see if I can identify if the deer I'm looking at is legal. I had no problem doing so and watched the deer until it was no longer legal to shoot. I used different power settings with and without illumination and I was just shocked how well I could see. I can't vouch for its longevity or durability, I don't screw with the turrets, I just set it and forget it, But on game in the field it is by far my favorite hunting scope. I can't wait to try it on hogs !https://monstrumtactical.com/3-9x-f...pe-adjustable-objective-range-finder-reticle/

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.