Best compromise for 243 and 3006

H-4350 is the greatest of all "if you could only have one powders" without question. I use it almost exclusively for anything based off the /06 casing, all my short mags and even my belted mags..give up a little velocity but it's always super accurate in everything..the "mother's milk " of all reloading..

RL 16 is another very versatile powder as well. I would consider that if you are having trouble finding 4350. Even Varget could work well depending on the application. I would say whatever you are thinking, get at least 3 pounds of it so that there's a chance to shoot and learn, with experience being the biggest teacher.

I would also suggest that if he has a 223, that it is probably the easiest cartridge to learn to reload on. With an appropriate powder, it's almost impossible to overload one, it takes far less powder, the brass is available EVERYWHERE (just go to the range and pick it up! It's free!), bullets are cheap and plentiful and you'd be able to focus on a lot of the fundamentals that would translate to the other cartridges like brass prep and load development. Two pounds of a powder ought to last at least 500 rounds vs about half that for the -06, the bullets are about half to 2/3's the cost... It would make up for the extra $45 bucks spent on dies in a hurry...

It's great to see you helping another person fall into the rabbit hole.

H4350 would be my first choice, accurate 4350 second choice IMR 4350 third shooters world also makes a 4350 but I have never tried it. The IMR goes through the powder measure as smooth as ten penny nails.

H4831SC in the 243 has been my go to for the last couple years. Its typically been the one on the shelfs.
IMR4350 in the 30-06

As for the "do it all" powder, I'd put my money on RL26.

Thanks for all the replies gentlemen!

I know a few have mentioned Reloader 16 which is what I use in my 243 and find it to be an excellent powder for that cartridge. The cost of it now however, has me searching for something different and will certainly scare away my cousin from wanting to try it.

I used IMR4350 in a 243Win with 100 grain Hornady IL bullets. It was a tack driver with this combo. I always loaded 30/06 with H4831SC, but I believe a load with IMR 4350 could work well. The IMR 4350 is slighter slower burning than the H4350.

I use h4831 in my 243 with 100 gr sierra gk. With the price of power I bought some hybrid 100 to try in my 300 wsm. I got 8lbs for 230 dollars. Looking through my load manual I see it listed for 243. Some say it's very accurate with good speed. Could be a good choice.

Someone earlier in this post mentioned sta-ball 6.5. I have used it in all my .308 based cases. (243,7-08,260,308) great accuracy and velocity, if it works in 06 based cases as well,you might have a winner. It's easy to find and competively priced.