Best 7MM WSM loads?

Mine loves RL-25, but not the summer heat in Las Vegas, so I now shoot H1000, with the exact same loads and velocities as reflected above with 66.3 H100 with the Berger 180s and the Sierra 175s. I tested Retumbo, and got 50+ fps more velocity with safe pressures, but did get a chance to test for accuracy - that is next on my list

JeffVN

Try H4831 long or short cut. 62.5 gr and a 180 JLK gets me ~2927. This load is 1/4 moa capable as long as I do my part. Have tried H1000 and H4350 as well. All of the powders tried were accurate, and gave good speed. The load above is a lower pressure load in my particular rifle. Yours maybe not. Did the above load with 168 Berger as well and it shot the same hole.

I value accuracy most of all, however, insensitivity to temperature is a very close second. My 7WSM is set up a little different than most, but I believe any of the accurate loads I have found others using and worked up to were accurate in mine as well.

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but since it is titled
Best 7mmWSM loads....

Does anyone have a pet load for the 154 SST or 160 Accubond?
I'm building another 7WSM and plan on shooting one of the above, preferably the SST if it's accurate.

My 7WSM is set up a little different than most, but I believe any of the accurate loads I have found others using and worked up to were accurate in mine as well.

Esorensen, can post a pic of your rifle. I have a feeling it is set up like mine.

Its soul purpose is shooting from 500 to 2000 yards.

Chase

Well everyone,

here is the pics of Erics 7WSM. He runs 180 JLK's through it.

Erics7WSM3.jpg

Erics7WSM2.jpg

Erics7WSM1.jpg

3 shot group at 875 yards
3shotgroup.jpg

Doe taken at 408 yards
408yarddoe.jpg

Erics rifle is easily a sub 1/2 MOA rifle out to 1000 yards

7mm004.jpg

Model 70 rebuilt with pacnor 26 supermatch SS barrel, classic laminated stock inletted & glass bedded with decelerator pad and timney at 2 3/4Lbs.

Break in was as specified by Pacnor. shoot1/cleanx10, then shoot3/cleanx10, now I'm up to shoot5/clean while working up a load. Cleaning has been strictly with mops & patches. This barrel may never see a brush, nor need one.

I'm planning to test the 140 & 160 gr Accubonds as well as 150 ballistic & e-tips. I'm able to reach the rifling with these bullets in short action magazine. I think Pac-nor reamed it with a short leade. Those guys are great.

I'm not so sure about the 168gr bergers & A-max. Can I even seat them to fit the mag, without seating past the bullet shank? Maybe someone with a winchester wsm action has tried this already?

I'm planning to restrict powders to H1000, H4831 SC, and H4350, unless they absolutely won't work, then I'll try magpro, RL19, and/or RL22.

Initial test loads for this weekend are 140's touching lands, with H4831sc, working up to Nosler's max. We'll see...

If your throat and lead are short enough, they will fit.

There isn't a lot of bullet shank outside of the case.

I shoot a 180 Berger in a WSM action, and there's enough mag length to jam them in the rifling about .020".

This is good info---my 6.5 WSM is going to be finished this week and this give me some ideas!!

LL,

Why not try a 140 gr Berger? Get a better BC and terminal ballistics. That is a very explosive bullet. All energy will get transfered into the animal and not the hill behind it;)

Chase

McWhorter 7 WSM custom with a 24 inch hart #5 light contour.

180 berger vlds, 69.0 grns of Hodgdon Retumbo, Winchester Brass, Federal 215 primers, most accurate seating depth is .010 & .051 off the lans. I started seeing pressure signs @ 70 grains of powder so I backed it down to 69.0 grains which is still a compressed load but very accurate. Average MV is 2971.

Is there a better powder for a 24 inch barrel shooting 180 bergers as opposed to longer barrels? What powder is best for a 24 inch barrel?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.