Best 7mm bullet out to 600 yds

180 Lapua Scenar with either H1000 or RL26. Bulls, bucks, bears, to over 700 for my kid. Working great.

I took 162 ELD-X out to 1000 yards on a 20"x20" target last weekend. This was with my Browning X-Bolt. The round performs very well for me.

I ended up working up a load for the Nosler accubond 160s 3050 FPS out of a 24 in remmy 72 to 73:5 gr will shoot one hole groups at 100. Planning on taking it out to 600 next week

I just got back from a trip to Africa. Hunted RSA and Zambia. Took my 7mm SAUM. 180 gr Berger hunting bullet at 2900 fps. Bartlien 1 in 8 twist barrel. Between me and my buddy we killed 16 animals with that bullet. That included Cape eland at 476 yds and 511 yds. Both 1 shot kills. Also a Pattersons eland at 75 yds. Hit him in the shoulder and he went 75 yds and I hit him again as he started getting wobbly. All of the rest were 1 shot kills. Including a Lechwe bull and 3 Cookstons Hartebeast. Every PH wanted to know about the rifle and bullet we were using. They just flat worked. You'll get the same results with the 7 mm mag. A .28 Nosler I might step up to the 195 gr.
Bruce

With 9 pages of endorsements in this thread, none speak louder than this one from GilletteHunter!

Nice work GH

I would go with .243 Winchester with 100 grain Speer Grand Slam bullet up to 350 yards, beyond that, like 600 yards, I'd go for .375 H&H loads of 180 grain prowess and hope for the best.

so trying to decide on a bullet for hunting. Will be deer hunting Maybe maybe a elk but doubtful. Will keep the range at 600 or less. Most being under 400 Would you run 140 with some speed or something else. 7mm mag 24 in barrel I seem to have a hard time deciding on this. Not sure the heavy high B C bullet is what I need for this application Your thoughts. Thsnks
Hornady ELD-X

Federal edge tlr 155 R23 from the muzzle to father thrn most can accurately shoot

Agreed. As a hunting bullet, the Edge TLR has all the design elements I like. I am a big fan of the North Fork bullets - have used them for years and, thankfully, have a supply sufficient to last may years in some calibers and my lifetime in others. I consider the Edge TLR a step up in a couple of areas - the groove design and tip result in a higher B.C. value and the tip helps ensure reliable expansion way out there (never had a problem with North Fork bullets expanding, though, even at low impact velocities).

I also like the Edge TLR deign over the AccuBond and TTSX, both of which I use extensively. Unfortunately, it will be quite a while before I run out of these two bullet types as well.

For new load development, the Edge TLR will be my first choice.

so trying to decide on a bullet for hunting. Will be deer hunting Maybe maybe a elk but doubtful. Will keep the range at 600 or less. Most being under 400 Would you run 140 with some speed or something else. 7mm mag 24 in barrel I seem to have a hard time deciding on this. Not sure the heavy high B C bullet is what I need for this application Your thoughts. Thsnks
Speer makes some great 145's , if you load them for how your hunting you won't be disappointed.

Speer 145g btsp is a softer bullet, great at 3000 fps

Speer 145 Hot core bullets are tough, on par with interlock flat base bullets that think that they are partitions.

For a good killing bullet on deer, the 160g Sierra btsp is hard to beat around 2900-3000 fps, deer flop on the spot with a great combo of expansion and penetration.

Current Nosler ballistic tips are tougher than most would think, especially the 150g. With a stiff load of R#25 with a Win mag primer, a 26" 7RM will shoot some very small groups at 3200 fps.

Last edited:
The new federal 155 grain edge tlr takes my vote. Expandes at close range and out to 900 yds and is bonded lead and copper with nickel plating. Great retention and BC is 0.61. Awesome bullet! I used to shoot barnes ttsx and still do in my .243 but for my 7mm i upgraded. Recovered a bullet from my elk this year in the skin on the offside shoulder View attachment 150838 View attachment 150839 after a heart shot at 60 yards and its awesome. Look them up. View attachment 150837

Another vote for the 155gr Edge TLR. I just killed my 2nd big game animal with this bullet. Unfortunately complete pass through both shoulders of a very large bodied mulie buck so no bullet recovery ( I really wanted to see what the bullet looked like). But the penetration is awesome for a LONG RANGE HIGH BC projectile that does not disintegrate like Bergers, ABLR, and even ELDX I've used previously. I am surprised there is not more hype about this bullet. Seems to offer the best of both worlds as far as high bc and terminal performance where as with other bullets, they seem to be skewed one way more than the other.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.