berger vs ABLR

The ABLR is an extremely accurate bullet but, it does take more tinkering to get it dialed in vs some others that are less picky (VLDs for example). I've had great results with the 142 in PRC and Creed, 168 in both 7-08 and 7WSM, 210 in 300 RUM, 265 in 338 Win, and just got a load dialed in with the 30 cal 190. From this weekend testing the 190ABLR in the ole' -06 and typical of what I expect from the ABLR once I do my part and get everything dialed in. Pretty happy with the results. (5 shots, 150 yards, less than ideal conditions, 54.5gr RL16, 2.710" BTO) View attachment 173550

How deep are you seating them?

How deep are you seating them?
I'll double check my notes tonight. 2.710" BTO but I don't recall what that jump ended up being. On my hunting rigs I usually start .030 off (if mag allows, may go closer) and then back off from there when fine tuning. If I don't get side tracked, I'll let you know exactly what it was this evening.

I'm hesitant on Berger due to exploding on impact on two different elk with 300 RUM. Am currently working up a load for 210 ABLR.

I shoot ABLR's in my 7 Mag with great results and pass throughs on 9 deer and one BIG sow. Several (including sow) were through both shoulders with tremendous results.

don't think I will shoot anything else for now!
What? Impossible..
Berger's never fail.
I hear guys shoot em through both shoulders of RhinosaurusRexs all the time.
Just doesn't make sense that a bullet known for zero weight retention would blow up on bone ;)

I have a 7-300WM. Full BR prepped & necked down 300M brass, loaded it up and shot it. 180g VLD at about 3040 was the sweet spot for sub moa accuracy for me. Got it to 3150 +/- before pressure signs. Never could get the 175 ABLR to be as accurate as the Berger, so I've never killed anything with that bullet. Took 10 animals in Africa w/ the 180g Berger: kudu, eland, 2 gemsbok, zebra, Blue & Black wildebeests, impala, red hartebeest, grey diker. All but one gemsbok and the hartebeest dropped within 40 yds. of the shot. Shooter error on the others.

Run the ballistics numbers. ABLY says minimum impact fps for expansion is 1800 fps.

I've had bang flop cow elk with exit about half dollar size 7mm 180g Berger VLD @ impact velocity of 2200 fps
I think the ABLR minimum impact velocity is rated lower than the regular AB projectile. I may be wrong but think reliable expansion is down to 1,300 fps.

Im building a 7-300 and am trying to choose a bullet. im down to the Berger 175 or the ABLR 175. anybody have experience with both? Im sure ill try em both for myself but a little insight would be nice.
I have a 7-300wby built by Howard Wolf. I run Berger Hybrid 180gr with H1000, and Fed 215 primer. Performs very well.

I shoot a larger caliber for elk hunting,thats what I like.Last ten years shoot the 300 otm.Ive had no use,believe I am over gunned. My set up has taken around 20 animals at this point,coyote to bull moose.I shoot long,but track many game and shot close in timber.Shot a bull standing in brush under 50,devastating.1/4 to me.After I shoot this bull and cut up,I think I try my bullet on large rear 1/4 bone? @200 yrds.I blow the bone to pieces on one shot and other shoot hole threw and break in 1/2,the 1/2 ply backer,blow the whole works threw target.This only rifle I current shoot bergers in. Some reason couldnt open picture of bone blown to bits,this right after I butcher elk.Shot both ends ball joint,destroyed it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.