Berger VLD pencil through Elk in Cold?

I've now had two experiences in cold temps (around 5 degrees Fahrenheit) where I believe a Berger VLD Hunting bullet (7mm 180gr) appears to have penciled through an elk.

First occasion: Last year, a mature cow through one shoulder, out the other armpit. I did recover this cow, and verified this. I was so cold and tired I didn't take a picture, but it was for sure a pencil through because there was no meat damage surrounding the entrance and exit. 320 yards.

Second occasion: This year, a mature bull I never recovered, but watched (and heard the tell tale sound) armpit impact maybe 3-4" above heart, perfectly broadside, at 294 yards. No blood anywhere to be found within 1/2 mile radius in fresh white snow.

I load these rounds myself, and have been doing so for long enough to know for certain they are going the correct velocity out of the muzzle. Both of these bullets were going ~2940 out of the muzzle, +or- 30fpm at worst, though both of them were from load developments that were averaging 15-20fpm extreme spreads. I cannot remember the last time I saw an ES greater than 40fpm. This isn't a velocity issue.

I have killed 5 elk, 2 antelope, and 4 deer, 1 bear with these same exact loads, but all in warmer temps bottoming out around 15 degrees. Every other one has expanded correctly, devastatingly.

I do visually check each bullet to make sure that visually there are no obstructions prior to loading my magazine, but I do leave them in the magazine for up to a few days at a time, and I don't run a drill bit like I know some people do.

1. Has anyone else personally experienced this in cold temps with the VLD H's?
2. Maybe with all the hiking around, I'm getting some snow or ice in the tips of the bullet? Could that prevent expansion?
3. I know some people have had tips close on bullets in a magazine, but these are the first bullets out of the magazine.

I'm thinking of switching to the 175gr Elite Hunters, as I'm guessing the thinner ogive and larger cavity in the tip would give tip these over the edge to expand properly in the cold. But I've also used these VLD Hunts for a few years and I love them, and have successfully killed a lot of other animals with them. I love the terminal performance when they expand.

Why not use a drill bit for assurance? It only takes a second
I'm worried the problem is with the cold temps' effect on the secant ogive, thicker metal at the tip, etc. known issues with VLD Hunts, that are tipped over the "edge" by cold temp, and the stiffer metal. Maybe drill bit will help, but losing another elk is not worth finding out if drill bit vs. visually inspecting resolves, unless someone can confirm on here that similar conditions are not affecting their bullets in the same way, in which case, I'd be left to assume this was either anomalous, or could be resolved by drill bit. Basically I'm looking for empirical evidence that directly contradicts my own, otherwise I think it's time to switch to the hybrids.

What about the high tip temps that Hornaday has reported--do you really think 10 degree ambient temp difference is going to make a bullet fail? You said they work at 15 degrees but supposedly not at 5 degrees? I think you've got something else going on-- try drilling tips. If you aren't comfortable with that then change bullets.

Last edited:
I saw enough of the 168 grain VLDs pencil through elk that I stopped shooting them. It's pretty much always cold when I'm hunting. I know this is a touchy subject and I just had a "bad batch" and "should have drilled them" blah blah. I put three perfectly through one bull and while he did die, I don't think he leaked a drop and there was no sign of exit until we skinned him. Don't they say not for hunting right on the box?

I saw enough of the 168 grain VLDs pencil through elk that I stopped shooting them. It's pretty much always cold when I'm hunting. I know this is a touchy subject and I just had a "bad batch" and "should have drilled them" blah blah. I put three perfectly through one bull and while he did die, I don't think he leaked a drop and there was no sign of exit until we skinned him. Don't they say not for hunting right on the box?
These are the VLD Hunts -- which are specifically for hunting. On berger's site they say they've thinned the metal at the tip to allow for better expansion.

Yes the Hornady tip temp thing was what I have been telling myself since the first pencil... and why I'm hoping to hear some contradictory "i drill, and shoot in -5 degree temps and have shot 20 elk without any problems"

Only awesome performance out of Berger I've ever seen was a 168 vld out of a 300 wby into a does brisket at 80 yards. Split her like Thor's hammer would have. I still use bergers but try to hit shoulder muscle mass or bone depending on angle. I'll never say that bergers are fabulous not any better than anyone else imo.

My Bergers shot two bulls this fall around zero degrees, no issues at all. Both were around 300 yards, one shot through the lungs and the other through the heart. Both one shot kills and very quick death. 7mm 180 Hybrids. Recovered the bullet from the heart shot bull just under the skin behind the far shoulder:
20221104_094942.jpg

If you don't want to use a drill bit to check the tips then use a needle or small straight pin. I've had batches where over 10 % of the tips were obstructed. I'd bet good $$ that"s your problem. I've used that bullet to kill a pile of game. With Berger's you gotta check the tips or your gonna get burned.
Bruce