Berger Match Hybrid Target 215 gr for Hunting?

I'll add my limited experience. I'm shooting them from a .300 WSM at 2817 FPS. 65 grains RL26. Shot three 3-shot groups just under 6" at 1320 yards for final validation before one of my elk hunts this fall. Killed a bull at 1176 yards. Good penetration and the bull only made it 50 yards but at that range expansion was minimal, as I would expect. From what I've seen and read in other's posts they are very destructive at ranges under, say 600 yards at magnum velocities, but seem to be a very good elk bullet out to around 1K.

I'm not a fan of Berger and it's been talked about to all ends. Same issues still hold true now. But those should work. I've killed a pile of audad and killed in the past few years.
And most were done with my 6.5 grendel using the hammer 99gr hunter.
My largest was with the 124hh in my 6.5 creed.
Your win mag should have no issues.

I'm not a fan of Berger and it's been talked about to all ends. Same issues still hold true now. But those should work. I've killed a pile of audad and killed in the past few years.
And most were done with my 6.5 grendel using the hammer 99gr hunter.
My largest was with the 124hh in my 6.5 creed.
Your win mag should have no issues.
What is your issue with Bergers?

So I have not had issues as I gave up on them before I had any.
Here is my basic take on them.
They are known to pencil through if tips are not cleaned out. So one extra step you hope you don't forget on the one you need.
Second they are very explosive which tends to cause bang flop but also can cause issues with close shots on shoulders.
I've been with guys who swear by them and I like them for deer for sure but don't use them on larger game.
My take on them is when they work they are amazing and they work most of the time. Much like mechanical broads heads.
When they work they are amazing but I don't like that small chance it happens to me on a once in a lifetime animal.
Most African guide hate them because of the failure rate in thick skinned game.
You will notice most on here that use them can shoot and always hit the sweet spot.
I'm not that good and things happen.
So I go to something that works close and far. Shoulder or not.
I was a huge fan of partitions but moved to cutting edge and mainly hammers.

So I have not had issues as I gave up on them before I had any.
Here is my basic take on them.
They are known to pencil through if tips are not cleaned out. So one extra step you hope you don't forget on the one you need.
Second they are very explosive which tends to cause bang flop but also can cause issues with close shots on shoulders.
I've been with guys who swear by them and I like them for deer for sure but don't use them on larger game.
My take on them is when they work they are amazing and they work most of the time. Much like mechanical broads heads.
When they work they are amazing but I don't like that small chance it happens to me on a once in a lifetime animal.
Most African guide hate them because of the failure rate in thick skinned game.
You will notice most on here that use them can shoot and always hit the sweet spot.
I'm not that good and things happen.
So I go to something that works close and far. Shoulder or not.
I was a huge fan of partitions but moved to cutting edge and mainly hammers.
There are Bergers that are made for hunting. Ive had great results with their Classic Hunters. No mods necessary

I've used them on antelope and deer with my 300 ultra out to 500 yards with great results and like some have said with fist size exit wounds. I now use the Berger hunting bullets that seem to shoot just as well as the match bullets. Honestly, I really can't see a difference in the terminal performance between the two. I've also had great results with 250 gr. Sierra match kings in my 338 Lapua out to 850 yards. They seem to perform similar to the Bergers.

My brother shot a bull a few years ago with a 140 elite hunter at what I would call "close range". He was trying to cut a herd off as they moved uphill but they changed coarse and ended up going up the same ridge he was on. He stepped off the trail as they came up it and from where he was to the trail was about 4', but with a 22" barrel and a 8" suppressor he was guessing the muzzle was about 18" from the bull as he walked by and he pulled the trigger. Bullet made it to the offside lung no problem. Dead bull.

The biggest trick with Bergers is you have to hit them in the vitals. That simple fact is lost on a high % of hunters who lose their mind at the sight of a buck or bull.

Wow that a long shot Im a mil guy so I usaully go for 35cm,and I dont use those target bullets I use the 300 OTM,ask the last 30 DOA how they worked.🙃

Have heard that this target bullet can be used for hunting and that some use it for elk. Have loaded for my 300 Win mag and they are accurate but Ive never shot an animal with them. My load leaves the muzzle at 2800 fps. I ve booked an aoudad hunt in early Feb and considering using them for it as ive heard they are tough. Shot distance expected to be 100-250 yds. Have any of you used this projectile for hunting and on what animal and distance? How did it do with respect to terminal performance?
I shot a moose At 100 yards in the crease with a 300 win mag. Took 3 steps down hill before dropping dead. but the bullet did not exit the rib cage. It essentially blew up in the close lung. I would be afraid of shooting an aoudad in the front shoulder at less than 500 yards range for fear that the bullet would not penetrate through tough bone at short velocity but rather the bullet would come apart on and in the shoulder not making it to the vitals. At close range (inside 500 yards) on an aoudad I would much prefer a better penetrating bullet such as a nosler accubond or Barnes or hammer hunter or other similar well constructed bullet designed with deep penetration in mind.

At longer distances the more Frangible bullets outperform as the bullet slows down.

I shot a moose At 100 yards in the crease with a 300 win mag. Took 3 steps down hill before dropping dead. but the bullet did not exit the rib cage. It essentially blew up in the close lung. I would be afraid of shooting an aoudad in the front shoulder at less than 500 yards range for fear that the bullet would not penetrate through tough bone at short velocity but rather the bullet would come apart on and in the shoulder not making it to the vitals. At close range (inside 500 yards) on an aoudad I would much prefer a better penetrating bullet such as a nosler accubond or Barnes or hammer hunter or other similar well constructed bullet designed with deep penetration in mind.

At longer distances the more Frangible bullets outperform as the bullet slows down.
How does a more frangible bullet help at distance? If it wont penetrate at 100 yds if it hits shoulder, how will hitting the shoulder at 400 yds give a better result?

How does a more frangible bullet help at distance? If it wont penetrate at 100 yds if it hits shoulder, how will hitting the shoulder at 400 yds give a better result?

The reason for less penetration at close distances/high velocities is because they will open more rapidly. This is where they get the reputation of being explosive. At slightly slower velocities (400 yards) they penetrate a bit then open instead of on impact.

The reason for less penetration at close distances/high velocities is because they will open more rapidly. This is where they get the reputation of being explosive. At slightly slower velocities (400 yards) they penetrate a bit then open instead of on impact.
The problem is you never know what kind of distance that you'll be presented with when you are packing the ammo.

The problem is you never know what kind of distance that you'll be presented with when you are packing the ammo.

I can't say forsure but I think as long as you're not pushing these at extreme velocities you won't really have an issue. I've had pass throughs on every animal I've killed with Berger's between hunting vlds and hybrids. I don't hunt at extreme distances but I've made kills between 40 yards and 450 yards. The thing with these debates between bullet types is there are about a million variables with every shot. Hitting bone square, hitting no bone, deflecting off of an edge of a bone. No two shots are the same. Some people have bad experiences with Berger's some people have bad experiences with partitions. I think the ones with the negative issues are always just more vocal, and most of ( not all) the negative review seen never recover the animal and just blindly blame a bullet (since we never have bad shots)

I can't say forsure but I think as long as you're not pushing these at extreme velocities you won't really have an issue. I've had pass throughs on every animal I've killed with Berger's between hunting vlds and hybrids. I don't hunt at extreme distances but I've made kills between 40 yards and 450 yards. The thing with these debates between bullet types is there are about a million variables with every shot. Hitting bone square, hitting no bone, deflecting off of an edge of a bone. No two shots are the same. Some people have bad experiences with Berger's some people have bad experiences with partitions. I think the ones with the negative issues are always just more vocal, and most of ( not all) the negative review seen never recover the animal and just blindly blame a bullet (since we never have bad shots)
My load leaves the muzzle at just over 2800 fps