• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Berger Bullets

Out Back

Has anyone ever had a Berger VLD Hunting bullet let them down with a well placed shot...................any bad experiances with them

My 6.5 Creedmoor shoots the 140 Berger Hunting Great 42.2gr of H4350 and BR-2 Primers, seated .010 off and groups well under .5 but I have never hunted with them.

Just wondering

Truth be told you will never find a bullet that works 100 percent of the time. We have all seen animals run off with well placed shots that they shouldn't have. Every situation and animal is different with too many variables to put blame solely on the bullet. That being said, I personally feel the Berger VLD is the best hunting bullet made with devasting terminal performance.

Berger VLD Hunting bullets have been very accurate in 3 different caliber rifles that I've used them in. I've shot two whitetails with them, one at 200 yards in a 6.5x284 and another at a lasered 405 yards with a 240 Weatherby, both dropped on the spot. I will continue to use them.

I'll join the other Az posters, the only animal I've ever seen not drop from a Berger was a result of a very poorly placed shot. It did expire some 400 yds away from massive internal bleeding.

Berger bullets are great bullets, and have done the job for me every time..on deer.

Yes I have had deer run, with all bullets, and I have had them drop in their tracks with all bullets.

The key is a steady hand and a well placed shot...many times I thought it was a well placed shot..only to find the deer, later...with a shot somewhere else...I did not think was my shot..but it was.

Took an elk hunt but used Accubonds...and it stopped the elk. So as aptly put already the bullet will do its job if you do.
MM

There were several guys/friends around here that complained last year about loosing nice bucks and were shooting Berger hunting VLD pills. So much so that I thought "what the heck has Berger done?". I didn't have an answer as I've been using A-Max's for several years.

Still not sure what happened. There were numerous calibers involved. Was it bullet failure or an error with bullet placement? Of course they assured me "they had it on him"

The few times I have used Bergers the results were dead deer. They ran 25-50yds but I still recovered 'em.

As with any bullet/caliber, precise bullet placement is the key. I wouldn't be afraid the use them.

I think your going to be fine distance is always key to your accuracy then follows confidence. Just limit your distance for trial and work from there . I personally love them, using them in bigger calibers is always a plus for error I know I've done it no BS... Good Luck !!!

They kill, no doubt about that. The down size is that they shed 85% of it's weight in very tiny lead fragments, so if you like your meat pre-seasoned with a toxic heavy metal you are good to go.

The only issue that I've heard about them is that once in a while they do not open up and pin-hole through the animal, delivering little energy and little tissue damage. Likely because tip was plugged, I'm guessing.

They kill, no doubt about that. The down size is that they shed 85% of it's weight in very tiny lead fragments, so if you like your meat pre-seasoned with a toxic heavy metal you are good to go.

The only issue that I've heard about them is that once in a while they do not open up and pin-hole through the animal, delivering little energy and little tissue damage. Likely because tip was plugged, I'm guessing.

From my personal experience testing our bullets I think that many of the bullet failures that we hear about are due to shooting too slow of a twist. It is possible to shoot marginally stable bullets very accurately but that does not mean that they will do as expected on impact. If a bullet is not fully stable it can yaw on impact and impede the terminal deformation needed.

So when I see bullets get blamed for failure my first thought is that the bullet was probably under stabilized.

Steve

I have had particularly good success with the 6.5 140 Berger HVLD and consider them one of the best hunting bullets I have used in this caliber. I have shot dozens of deer and antelope from 50 yards to 1000+ yards with my 6.5x284 with a very high percentage of DRT's. While they may come apart at closer ranges with higher velocities, the high sectional density seems to keep the core intact sufficiently to maintain effective wound channels. At the longer ranges and lower velocities I've retrieved bullets that look like the classic mushroom. I have gotten comparable performance with the 140 VLD JLK's. They use the same J4 jackets and are of similar design.

I have had particularly good success with the 6.5 140 Berger HVLD and consider them one of the best hunting bullets I have used in this caliber. I have shot dozens of deer and antelope from 50 yards to 1000+ yards with my 6.5x284 with a very high percentage of DRT's. While they may come apart at closer ranges with higher velocities, the high sectional density seems to keep the core intact sufficiently to maintain effective wound channels. At the longer ranges and lower velocities I've retrieved bullets that look like the classic mushroom. I have gotten comparable performance with the 140 VLD JLK's. They use the same J4 jackets and are of similar design.

Good to hear. I shoot the 140 Berger H VLD from my 6.5 too. Only taken a few antelope. But results mirror yours.

Thanks

Ive used them once. Or I should say that my son shot a Black Bear with a 95gr VLD out of a .243 AI that I once had, bear was 217 yards Bear hit the ground and never moved. Massive tissue Damage...............