Berger .277 EOL Extreme Heavy Hybrid 170 Grain.

Gohring,

Not exactly sure what you mean with your statement, nor do I feel it is important to examine it much further. However all I was saying is, I was a multiple paying advertiser on this site, I did nothing to break any rules while on here. My business was directly competing with the admin of this site, therefore I was removed as a advertiser. Hence the reason I have been spending my time on a off site project that will launch soon.

Other then that if you feel I did you wrong in some way, I

Thanks again guys.
its just business. I wouldn't want anyone to sell their cookies in my bakery either.figuretivley speaking I mean no direspect .mr.Beck but you have to understand that this buisness is cut throat apealling to a relatively small consumer base there is only so much sales to go around

Gohring,

Your last statement nailed the concern on the head, thanks for getting to it so I didn't have to. I try to respect anyone and everyone the best I can, so it helps that you got there on your own.

For the basis of that fact. Yes you are correct to some degree, however the struggle will go, it is my job to try to bring more people to our labor of love. My entire job/business model is to entertain plus create interest in what we do at a the largest level we can afford to distribute. So in fact that means, We have to be able to sell our products as well in order to do so. We may have a certain size audience now/today, but as time goes on, with the players that are at on our team, this will surely be changing.

Finally, so you know we totally respected Lens decision. As much as it bummed me out at the time, it completely made sense and I believe Len and I left the conversation with as much respect as we entered into it. Nothing has changed on my end of thing and I'm sure none on his. Please know that I am still a active member here and am happy to have that opportunity. Back to my original comment, my tardiness on thread responses only came from my lack of time due to other projects, not my lack of support...

Thanks again, take care.

Well......

I feel that I now am very near a decision point.

I walk into Cabales and feel that there is nothing there I need or want.

Same for spoortmans, the rifle shop, Ross', smith and Edwards or most any other sporting goods store.

They have nothing that will enhance LR/ELR at the level I find myself.

Those hanging around the stores are pretty much into the keep testing, trying powders, primers, etc burning life and resources accomplishing relatively nothing.

There number of those here that bring something to the limit stretching party remain constant though it is an ever decreasing percentage.

Yes business is business. I tend to seek the business model I am most comfortable with. Been that way for a while and helps me advance.

Just sayin'

I guess it is time for an update. Not sure when, or if, Berger will ever get around to making these bullets (my faith is now wavering). However, they do perform well.

I drew a late Nov/early Dec bull elk tag in eastern AZ. I never could find either of the monster bulls I had been tracking for the previous three months. So on the last evening of the hunt, I decided to take a "meat" bull. Since the scope on my 338 Lapua Imp. was suspect from a previous 'bump', I elected to go with my back-up: the 277 Allen Magnum. It shoots the 170 gr. Begrers at 3,175 fps. Since I had three 170 gr. EOL bullets left over from my previous testing, I loaded these up and took them with me for the back up rifle.

The "meat" bull walked out into the meadow about 15 min. after sundown at a distance of 550 yds. By the time I had gotten set up, let him jump the fence and ranged him, the distance had increased to 578 yds. I dialed 6.0 MOA and with little wind to speak of, I held off just 1/4 MOA and took the high shoulder shot.

I was able to recover from the recoil in time to watch him drop like a sack of potatoes. It was a classic high shoulder shot. First the back end dropped, then his front legs went out from underneath him and he was DRT. No tracking. No packing out. I was able to back the truck right up to him. It was a very humane kill. It was also the smallest 4x5 I have ever seen (pic below).

In skinning him out, I could only find a small entrance hole. There was no exit. The bullet expended the full amount of its energy inside the elk. As I was cutting up the meat, I did find many small pieces of lead. I finally found what was left of the brass bullet cup lodged in the backstrap.

Overall, I was very pleased with the performance of the bullet. However, as much as I like the high shoulder shot for anchoring an animal, I think next time I will go for the double lung and let him run a little in order to save more meat.

Attachments

• Bull Elk De2014.jpg
    Bull Elk De2014.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 277 Berger EOL.jpg
    277 Berger EOL.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 153
Good shootin' !!!

The bullet performed very well for the velocity and distance.

3175 FPS seems like a very light load for the AM. You must be one of those sensible folks.:)

I too have given up on Berger and am working with Matrix 165s and Berger 140s/150s.

The largest game I'll be after is wolf. Elk is over up here but my 338 Rum is ready for duty should something open up....

Yes, it was a reasonably mild load for the 277 AM, but it was also the one that gave me the best, most consistent group by far. Given the complete disintegration of the bullet at that speed, I can't imagine how anything could have been gained with a higher velocity. Totally pleased with the bullet. But like you, I am now working with Matrix bullets as well. I tend to reward with dollars those manufacturers that pay attention to the needs of LR hunters.

Gentlemen,

Sorry for the late response. I assumed most knew already, but some time ago I have been asked not to advertise my products on this site. So as much as I would love to bring updates here, I cannot.

Please feel free to reach me directly, as my product lines are not able to be here.

Thanks again.

I still check your site from time to time just to see if the 170 grainers are available yet. Is there a place on your site where you post updates? (Couldn't find any).

On our store site, the first image slider has anything new or otherwise right there.

Thanks again.

Any word on this bullet now that it sounds like there is hope this year for the 7mm 195 grain offering does that increase likelihood for production of this bullet also?

I sure hope so! I have a 270 Sherman with a 1:8 Lilja that should be finished in the next month or so that would like to push some of these 170 grain pills.

See the quote from earlier in the thread:

Gentlemen,

Sorry for the late response. I assumed most knew already, but some time ago I have been asked not to advertise my products on this site. So as much as I would love to bring updates here, I cannot.

Please feel free to reach me directly, as my product lines are not able to be here.

Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.