Berger .277 EOL Extreme Heavy Hybrid 170 Grain.

Thanks for the info...that will be my max speed...

Being that I have to shoot at mag length...I cannot find the thread of the three different distances off the lands to load this type of bullet that Berger recommended to try (that has to be a run on sentence)...

Anyone have the Berger recommendations?

Thanks...
Longtooth32,
Start at .005 off the lands and work back in .005 increments. To 'tweak" the bullet seating depth accuracy node when you find a seating depth that shows promise . Go .002 to either side. All seating depth testing should be done at the lowest powder charge listed for the bullet/powder/cartridge combination you are testing for.

Thanks for the info...that will be my max speed...

Being that I have to shoot at mag length...I cannot find the thread of the three different distances off the lands to load this type of bullet that Berger recommended to try (that has to be a run on sentence)...

Anyone have the Berger recommendations?

Thanks...
Longtooth32,
Start at .005 off the lands and work back in .005 increments. To 'tweak" the bullet seating depth accuracy node when you find a seating depth that shows promise . Go .002 to either side. All seating depth testing should be done at the lowest powder charge listed for the bullet/powder/cartridge combination you are testing for.

Longtooth32,

So you are saying this should be the first thing you do when starting load development? Will the seating depth requirement change as you increase the powder charge?

So you are saying this should be the first thing you do when starting load development? Will the seating depth requirement change as you increase the powder charge?
Hornhunter32,
Its what I do. Seating depth does not change as you increase the powder charge. Some may play with the seating depth a small bit but I do not. I dont play with the powder charge until, when I have to seat the bullet out more to stay on my seating depth accuracy node on or off the lands has moved the bullet out enough that I fall off my velocity accuracy node and have to tweak the powder charge to get back on it.

Well, I went out and shot this bullet today…

It was a lased 120 meters…

It was cold and it was snowing when it wanted to…

Loaded it to mag length in my Wby 270 (3.4") Benchmark 28", 1-9, barrel…

Loaded with Retumbo…just on a guess. From 70 to 75gr with out any pressure issues in my gun…Max speed was 3080fps with an ES of 21. Have more room for more speed…

Shooting out of the bed of my pick-up with a bi-pod and a bag...

Very accurate bullet...

Attachments

• 270.jpg
    270.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 131
Well, I went out and shot this bullet today…

It was a lased 120 meters…

It was cold and it was snowing when it wanted to…

Loaded it to mag length in my Wby 270 (3.4") Benchmark 28", 1-9, barrel…

Loaded with Retumbo…just on a guess. From 70 to 75gr with out any pressure issues in my gun…Max speed was 3080fps with an ES of 21. Have more room for more speed…

Shooting out of the bed of my pick-up with a bi-pod and a bag...

Very accurate bullet...

Ha…Looks like someone did a bad pull…with that group…:)

Quick question…with this bullet, I hit the lands at 3.525" (270 Wby, Benchmark barrel).

It looks like I have a spacer in my bullet box that I can remove that will allow me to shoot longer bullets at mag length…current mag length is 3.4".

Any reason that I should not remove this spacer and shoot longer than 3.4"?

TIA

Merry Christmas

You can remove the spacer but you will need to extend the bolt stop groove on the bottom of your bolt to enable it to come back far enough to pick up the next round. I have done several this way

You can remove the spacer but you will need to extend the bolt stop groove on the bottom of your bolt to enable it to come back far enough to pick up the next round. I have done several this way

Thank you for the info...this project is getting to be more fun...

Merry Christmas...

I'm thinking about having a new barrel put on my 270 wsm. Any chamber specs or load data someone wants to share? It's a Winchester model 70 classic crf. Is the factory mag box going to be long enough, or can I extend it somehow? Any info would be awesome.

When going with a custom barrel, everything revolves around the exact cartridge you want to shoot. You have already determined you want to stay with the 270 WSM (a great choice). According to Berger, this bullet will require a twist of 8.3", but most barrel makers will either do an 8.0" or 8.5". I would go with an 8.0".

Next, you need to take a look at the reamer that will be used. Most gunsmiths will have the standard SAAMI spec reamer in 270 WSM. It is possible that your smith may have a slightly different reamer that takes a little slop out of the SAMMI spec chamber (probably not). Although a tighter chambered reamer is not necessary - research on reamers is a good way to learn more: start with Pacific Tool & Gauge.

You can tell your smith that you want to shoot the new Berger 170 gr. VLD and he will throat the chamber accordingly, but the best way is to mock-up a bullet the exact length you need and send it to him. This will require you to either live with your current mag length , or to possibly try to extend it. I would start with Wyatts Outdoor. I know they have an extended box for the Win long action, but I am unsure about a short action. Give them a call to see what is available. Sticking with a length that will fit your current box will rob you of some case capacity. If you cannot extend the box (either not available, or too expensive because you may also have to replace/machine your bolt stop or extractor), then I would simply choose the max length that your action will extract and live with your new rifle as a single shot.

ok another dumb ? do you think it will still shoot 150's ok, or am I limiting myself to 165's and up? Idk if a single shot will work for me, its a hunting rifle, am i going to rob more performance than its worth by going mag length?

ok another dumb ? do you think it will still shoot 150's ok, or am I limiting myself to 165's and up? Idk if a single shot will work for me, its a hunting rifle, am i going to rob more performance than its worth by going mag length?

Is this rifle to be a hunting rig, or a long distance hunting rig? A std. 270 WSM with 150 gr, bullets makes an excellent hunting rifle and a pretty good long distance shooter out to 600+ yds. If you are wanting to shoot and/or take game out at the 800+ range, then you need to start looking at longer, heavier bullets and tighter twist barrels.

An 8" twist will allow you to shoot anything from a 170 gr. on down, but a 10" will probably limit you to 150 gr. or lighter bullets (Just a guess - haven't consulted a chart). Any "off-the-shelf" rifle has the potential to be a great hunting rifle. Long distance is the primary reason for going custom.

As far as barrel specs are concerned, I would go with an 8 twist to keep my options open. I would also stay away from 3-groove riflings. The longer bearing surface of the heavier bullets tend to get beat up more by the three groove barrels. I believe Benchmark makes a barrel in 270 cal that has a tight twist and more than three grooves.

[/QUOTE] As far as barrel specs are concerned, I would go with an 8 twist to keep my options open. I would also stay away from 3-groove riflings. The longer bearing surface of the heavier bullets tend to get beat up more by the three groove barrels. I believe Benchmark makes a barrel in 270 cal that has a tight twist and more than three grooves.[/QUOTE]

I have had no problems with my 3 groove 1:8 Lilja shooting 165 Matrix or 170 berger out of my 270 Sherman.....

Anyway we should probably get this thread back to the 170 Berger and not a build...

I made it out a couple weeks ago and shot one group with the 170 Berger with a less than adequate rest at 100 yards and still was able to shoot .75" 3 shot group. Once I am able to determine what my best seating depth is I have no doubt I will be able to run these the same if not faster than the 165 matrix since it has a shorter bearing surface. I should be able to shoot them around 3150 fps.
My magneto speed should show up this week so if the weather is decent this weekend I'll have some more data on the 170 and hopefully soon after find some long range coyotes

I am trying…

Got to get out and shoot the 270 Wby with the 170 Berger…

This bullet is more accurate in my gun than the Matrix 165 (28", 1-9 , Benchmark)…

It was about 33 degrees outside with about a 50% value wind from my right (more than 10 mph)…I shot until my Chrono was blown over and bent an upright…@ a lased 103 yards with my new G7 ...

I was shooting out of the back of my pick up…the wind was rocking the boat (truck)…I had a hard time keeping a steady sight picture…but this is real life...

The Berger 170s were grouping better than me. I was trying to shoot when the truck was not moving (Ford HD F250)…

Anyways…I got a good group at 3000fps with an ES of 21…H1000 on the lower right…

I was closing in on another acurracy node at 3123 fps but ran out of cartages with more loaded powder (no pressure signs so far with H1000)...

Attachments

• bent chrono.jpg
    bent chrono.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 163
  • 270 Berg.jpg
    270 Berg.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 155
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.