Bell & Carlson; state loyalty

nhenry

Growing up in rural, BFE Kansas, I grew an appreciation for things made in the area and to a slightly larger degree, in the state. Bell and Carlson was right down the road; I even pass by it every time I go home to see my folks now.
I know that I want to get my next stock from them because of this, but I have some reserves about their finishes. I bought a used Remington custom shop 7-08 with a medalist that felt pretty sticky. Does anyone have a recently made one that can tell me about the quality?
Thanks.

No worries with their new finishes and if you still have that stock, they'll hook you up on a refinish
Wish I'd have known that at the time. I restocked it into maple, then sold the thing.

IMG_9474.jpeg

Growing up in rural, BFE Kansas, I grew an appreciation for things made in the area and to a slightly larger degree, in the state. Bell and Carlson was right down the road; I even pass by it every time I go home to see my folks now.
I know that I want to get my next stock from them because of this, but I have some reserves about their finishes. I bought a used Remington custom shop 7-08 with a medalist that felt pretty sticky. Does anyone have a recently made one that can tell me about the quality?
Thanks.
Big supporter. Way cheap for an aftermarket stock nowadays. Have 3 of them and they work great…without bedding btw.

A good friend of mine snapped one of mine in half. B&C replaced it. No questions.

He was walking with it on a sling. His clothes or something on his belt must have caught the safety first, then the trigger later and it went off, and voila, the stock was now in two pieces. Broke at the grip.

How? I dunno. Physics. But B&C made it right for free.

I suspect I know how that stock broke. I had a Remington 700 on my left shoulder and the safety flipped to fire. Back then my canteen was a bota bag (filled with water). The tip of the bota bag hit the trigger, and the rifle went off inches from my left ear. I think I threw that rifle. It landed several feet away. It broke the wooden forearm. My hunting rifles are now single shot or tang safety, and I use a Safari Sling.

I suspect I know how that stock broke. I had a Remington 700 on my left shoulder and the safety flipped to fire. Back then my canteen was a bota bag (filled with water). The tip of the bota bag hit the trigger, and the rifle went off inches from my left ear. I think I threw that rifle. It landed several feet away. It broke the wooden forearm. My hunting rifles are now single shot or tang safety, and I use a Safari Sling.
All I can figure is the lack of something backing it up and pressure from the sling pulling it at an angle. It was a 7 mag so not a light round.

After the "boom" he said the gun was hanging on his shoulder in two pieces.

Thanks.

I just got one for a vanguard a few weeks ago and it was not sticky at all.

Recent Posts