Bedding Savage stocks

Adjusting the torque on a savage rifle can shrink or enlarge groups. I think on savage shooters website they have an article describing the process. I shoot a couple of these stocks and used that process to shrink groups I think my front action screws have a 10 inch pound difference and they both showed marked improvement by experimenting with action screw torque

Adjusting the torque on a savage rifle can shrink or enlarge groups. I think on savage shooters website they have an article describing the process. I shoot a couple of these stocks and used that process to shrink groups I think my front action screws have a 10 inch pound difference and they both showed marked improvement by experimenting with action screw torque
I've always followed their recommendations and have a 1/2moa rifle @100 yds. I do have an aftermarket trigger on it as well

If tightening or loosening the action screws changes the groups, wouldn't that mean the action isn't sitting flat? Also, if it isn't flat and you're flexing something to fit, wouldn't it have issues with environmental changes? Just doesn't seem that hard to bed it correctly if it's not

If tightening or loosening the action screws changes the groups, wouldn't that mean the action isn't sitting flat? Also, if it isn't flat and you're flexing something to fit, wouldn't it have issues with environmental changes? Just doesn't seem that hard to bed it correctly if it's not
There is a wedge on the front screw that enables it to bed correctly. Torque is important on them or any rifle for that matter.

Accuratocks need a certain torque to work correctly. That's the design, wedge style.

IMG_5302.jpeg

Even bedded actions can benefit, or not from inproperly torqued action screws.

Been there, done that!

This will help! And not for just Savage rifles.

Hard to say if you will see any real benefit. I have bedded a couple Savage rifles and have not seen any noticeable improvement in groups. As others mentioned I would follow the torque specs from Savage.

Would there be enough gained to warrant bedding a factory Savage Accu-Stock on a hunting rifle? I realize that there could/would be some gain but "enough"?

I have a Savage 6.5-284 that shoots very well but the shot strings slightly vertically. But I also have REM 700 223 varmint that does the same thing with a replacement HS precision un-bedded stock.
You might not see a noticeable benefit in bedding Savage Accustock, but with the HS precision, you might. As others recommended, ensure you have the proper torque recommendations and that the barrel is free-floated. My Savage .300 WSM still has the Accustock; I had to do some light sanding on the stock, but other than that, the only I did was permanently bed a 20 MOA rail. If I do my part, it is a .5-.75 MOA to 966Y. Good luck!

Ed