Bedding Savage stocks

RB II

Would there be enough gained to warrant bedding a factory Savage Accu-Stock on a hunting rifle? I realize that there could/would be some gain but "enough"?

I have a Savage 6.5-284 that shoots very well but the shot strings slightly vertically. But I also have REM 700 223 varmint that does the same thing with a replacement HS precision un-bedded stock.

Attachments

• IMG_4398.jpeg
    IMG_4398.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1885.jpeg
    IMG_1885.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 52
I don't think much would be achieved by bedding an Accustock.
I have found the biggest problem with them is flex in the forend where the alloy stops, especially if your using a bipod off of a swivel stud.
Your vertical stringing is most likely caused by your rear rest in this case, if it were a bedding issue it wouldn't be just vertical.
Accustocks are fine for off hand, but you will struggle with using it for long range, especially when shooting prone with a bipod or bag.
I swapped mine out for a Choate and it changed the rife, only thing is weight, they are solid but heavy for off the shoulder stuff.
Those are some groups to be proud of anyway, unless your going for F-Open, keep chasing that one hole group, I know I do!

No. Those stocks work really well at the recommended torque and make sure the barrel is floating. I have had quite a few of those and never needed to bed one. I have bedded several standards with metal pillars and added inserts in the forearm to remove flex. To offset the flex of the front of the stock and contacting the barrel you can inlet it more, reinforce it, or move the bipod attachment point back a bit.

There comes a point when doing something to improve accuracy is unnecessary. As far as your stock goes, you have reached that point. Just work on load development. Many people I encounter for reloading work would be thrilled with the way your rifle shoots.

Would there be enough gained to warrant bedding a factory Savage Accu-Stock on a hunting rifle? I realize that there could/would be some gain but "enough"?

I have a Savage 6.5-284 that shoots very well but the shot strings slightly vertically. But I also have REM 700 223 varmint that does the same thing with a replacement HS precision un-bedded stock.
Ok, I am going to risk it......... are you sure its the rifle and load and not the shooter? I know I know..... risky. Sometimes vertical strings are simply shooter error. Just mentioning in case it was overlooked at all. Scope alignment, trigger control, etc. I usually take a video of the shooter or myself to review and critique the fundamentals if I notice issues that might not be related to the rifles performance. Just food for thought.

I'm going to answer your question with a question. Do you follow the torque specs and sequence of the action screws? I have the same stock set up in a 270wsm and it shots clover leafs I follow their specs. Also I shoot off of a front Bald Eagle front rest and rear bag. I also shot a cow elk last month using a Harris bipod double pull legs at 400 yds. I was shooting prone. Are you letting your barrel cool cause a hot tube will also string vertically

I'm going to answer your question with a question. Do you follow the torque specs and sequence of the action screws? I have the same stock set up in a 270wsm and it shots clover leafs I follow their specs. Also I shoot off of a front Bald Eagle front rest and rear bag. I also shot a cow elk last month using a Harris bipod double pull legs at 400 yds. I was shooting prone. Are you letting your barrel cool cause a hot tube will also string vertically
Never had the stock off of this rifle. I shoot often off of a tri-pod/Arca rail. 415 yd antelope this past fall.
7SS custom.
I don't rest the barrel on every shot, but do after a 5 shot string.

Never had the stock off of this rifle. I shoot often off of a tri-pod/Arca rail. 415 yd antelope this past fall.
7SS custom.
I don't rest the barrel on every shot, but do after a 5 shot string.
I think I would start over with loosening all of the action screws an retorque all of the action screws in the sequence and inch lbs that Savage recommends

Sometimes I think that the number and types of things that can impact rifle accuracy are limited only by one`s imagination!

Recent Posts