Bedding bead blasted actions.

kfd518

I have a bead blasted action I would like to bed. When I bedded the rail to the top it took quite a bit of force to remove even though I liberally applied the wax release agent 3x to ensure complete coverage of the area to be bedded.
I am worried that the texture is going to be very difficult to release the action from once it is cured.
Has anyone done this on a savage stainless bead blasted action and what could be done to reduce the effect of the bead blasting grabbing ahold so tightly to the texture of the action?
It will be going into a Bell and Carlson long action detachable box mag sporter. This is the only option for a stock in my price range.

Last edited:
Johnson's floor wax. It has always been reliable with smooth finished actions for me.
The texture on this action is a cross between the bead blasting and machine marks
D9F9B29F-219B-4168-BF2C-B5159D06F1B7.jpeg

I agree100% on feed rate. Must have thought it would be hidden with the bead blasting. You can feel the rail sit down into the machining grooves when you set it in place for installation. Should have plenty of bearing surface now to take the load off of the screws!
Anyways any thoughts on this little fella as far as bedding?

If it was a job on my bench I would give it two/three coats of Johnson's and bed it. I use an action jack to remove all my bedding jobs from there stocks though and that is like hitting the easy button.

Attachments

• A8252451-5A05-49EE-B061-4078A6E57253.jpeg
    A8252451-5A05-49EE-B061-4078A6E57253.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 91
@Tac284 I'm wondering if I can make something like one of those action jacks.

Well after I widen the barrel channel I will give it a shot on bedding this thing and hopefully they don't become one in epoxy matrimony in the process.
I put an NSS 24" takeoff on it. Wanting to be able to shoot suppressed on my range here at the house. Trying to keep noise down for the neighbors. There are a few though that won't get suppressed at all.

Absolutely you can build one, I would have If I had the time. You can either set it up to pull the rail or through the action like a bolt. Just distribute the pressure along the sides of the action on the stock and you should be good to go. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Well the stock arrived today, got the barrel channel opened up.
F5EC4DD0-6ECC-4F7B-AE6D-E277621E5C2D.jpeg
In the process I found a void in the fore end that I will need to fill and then sand back to the barrel channel contour.
74B62154-E4CD-4F16-986A-43D249C71ECE.jpeg
Thinking some compressed air pipe cleaners and denatured alcohol to clean the dust out.

Last edited:
<SNIPPED STUFF> The Best product I have found is. Brownells spray release agent it is oily but clean up is easy
I second this recommendation. The Brownells Acra-Release Aerosol works perfectly & a can will do many bedding jobs. It's well worth the investment to NOT suffer thru a stuck action bedding job.

Bedded with devcon today. Waiting for it to cure will take it out tomorrow. Hopefully it comes out nice and easy. I set it at 030 clearance each side of barrel, might take it out to .040". Will need longer action screws with the new stock and real bottom metal.
Shaping up to be around 10.5# when it's done.

Recent Posts