Bear hunting in the rain

OG-danimal

Hey all, I have a 7 day bear hunting trip planned coming up, and the weather looks unfortunate for the 10 day forecast that I'll be out there. Anyone had success bear hunting in the rain? I've heard it's slow, but any tips would be helpful.
Thanks!

It is what it is. Fortunately the days are long, and generally there will be openings in the weather.

Staying tough, and being prepared is all you can do.

I've seen them out mid day in the summer, and in all kinds of weather. Plus the smaller bears often brave the elements to avoid larger bears.

Rut also starts soon.

All the bear hunting I have done was in September. To me it always seemed like I would see more activity right after a thunderstorm or big long downpour and it was pretty quick after it let up. Although that may be because of the temps that time of the year. Seems like when it stops they take advantage of the temp drop to go for a swim.

The only experience that I have is Black Bear hunting in the Fall, over bait. We have killed about 10, so sample size is limited.

Cold weather didn't matter (they would come out earlier in the evening if it was cold) but a steady to hard rain were not productive sits. Be out there waiting for breaks and they will show, especially in the evening.

Hey all, I have a 7 day bear hunting trip planned coming up, and the weather looks unfortunate for the 10 day forecast that I'll be out there. Anyone had success bear hunting in the rain? I've heard it's slow, but any tips would be helpful.
Thanks!
I too seem to always see them more after it rains. (Maybe because the fresh air gives cleaner scents?)

What kind of hunt? Spot and stalk, over bait, I am assuming not over hounds.
I also have two separate 5 day hunts coming up that my oldest Son and I have been doing (still waiting for my rug to be done from last springs hunt).
Hunting over bait usually involves being in some sort of cover. Big timber or the like and rain does not seem to bother them as bad.
For spot and stock, As stated above right after a rain or thunder shower can be real good but will likely be slow during. Just a steady light drizzle don't seen to bother them as bad.
Get a good light weight small tarp that you can stake out (don't forget the stakes and guy lines) and us as shelter to sit and glass from. During a rain really watch the "edges" of the openings. Especially if it is larger timbers edges. The Bears will hang out in there under the canopy of trees and feed on grasses that are encroaching into the trees while waiting for the rain to stop. Or they just lay up right at edges and nap.
Regardless of rain (outside of a flat out deluge) I would be sure to have my rain gear a light wait tarp and just hunt.

Be well, shoot well,
Dan

Attachments

• 20220530_092134.jpg
    20220530_092134.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 108
  • 20220530_095847.jpg
    20220530_095847.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 125
  • 20220530_095812.jpg
    20220530_095812.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 113
Thanks!
Rain doesn't affect the habits of bears much at all. Heat affects them much more!

What kind of hunt? Spot and stalk, over bait, I am assuming not over hounds.
I also have two separate 5 day hunts coming up that my oldest Son and I have been doing (still waiting for my rug to be done from last springs hunt).
Hunting over bait usually involves being in some sort of cover. Big timber or the like and rain does not seem to bother them as bad.
For spot and stock, As stated above right after a rain or thunder shower can be real good but will likely be slow during. Just a steady light drizzle don't seen to bother them as bad.
Get a good light weight small tarp that you can stake out (don't forget the stakes and guy lines) and us as shelter to sit and glass from. During a rain really watch the "edges" of the openings. Especially if it is larger timbers edges. The Bears will hang out in there under the canopy of trees and feed on grasses that are encroaching into the trees while waiting for the rain to stop. Or they just lay up right at edges and nap.
Regardless of rain (outside of a flat out deluge) I would be sure to have my rain gear a light wait tarp and just hunt.

Be well, shoot well,
Dan
Thanks! This will be a big open country spot and stalk hunt. Rain gear and rain fly already packed. Lots of bino time is the plan for sure

My experience is only in the fall but starting in mid- August baiting hunting from September 10 until October 20 and guiding for over 45 years....if you have a steady rain odds are slim to none seeing a bear....but when it stops odds go way up....

It suck only having a week but use ever minute.....

It suck only having a week but use ever minute.....
This is very important. I think because of available time and the hustle and bustle of life we forget to enjoy the hunting and time outdoors and maybe focus on productivity a little too much. Don't get me wrong everyone wants to get their critter and you want to give it your best. Just make sure you are enjoying the time hunting too. I have been working on this and really enjoy my time more now.

Might vary a bit depending on where you hunt and what typical weather is.Ive shot every kind of animal in fowl weather.As I hunt it.Spots in AK it rains every day, bears are killed. I live in NW, love the sunny spring days, but a lil drizzle,and walking grassy gated roads can be a successful bow hunt for them