Beam scale or RCBS Lite

My rcbs 505 has finally bit the dust. I've got the older version of the Hornady auto charge which has worked great for 4-5 years. It's constantly wandering from zero and always either 2-3 grains less or more.
I don't want to buy a Chinese made beam scale. I keep noticing the Rcbs lite is getting excellent reviews. From videos I've watched it doesn't appear to need the straw trick or change mode to start trickling for an additional 2 seconds.
I'm leaning towards the Rcbs but would be happy to take any advise.
After my kids moved out I moved my reloading operation into a now spare bedroom. My RCBS balance scale also developed a wandering problem. I found a new "old" one in original packaging at an estate sale and set it up. It too wandered. I discovered that I had a breeze blowing across it from an overhead A/C vent. I redirected the airflow. Now I have two RCBS balance scales that work perfectly. I forgot to mention that I bought the original RCBS scale in 1970.

Last edited:
lucky you my daughter moved out and shortly after my mother inlaw moved in but my reloading room is my basement no ac but it stays about 65 degs down there

As bean scales go, I have an Ohaus Diel-O-Grain 1110 bean balance scale I bought it over 30 years ago, and it's still one of the most accurate I've used over the years, both bean and electric I check my electric scales with my 1110 if I think there's a problem with one. Cheers

Last edited:
As it stands I myself took a spare bedroom when my son and grandchildren moved out. AC and heat vents are in the floor and I try to keep them blocked with whatever is in hand. It doesn't seem to matter much on my beam because it will still lose zero even if no air is on. It's a shame too because I like the 5-0-5

I still have my old Lyman D-5 scale from 1966 when I put my first reloading tools together. It still is right with my RCBS 10-10. Beam scales. V slots have to be checked and cleaned often, Just installing and removing the beam for storage can cause burrs to develop on the knife edges of the beam pivots. I check the knife edges with a magnifying glass and stone off any visible burrs.
Playing steel guitar in a band, I had many electronic problems from voltage changes when playing different locations. I do not trust electronic scales, Voltage changes can really mess up many electronic items.

I bought a used RCBS 5-10 scale at a yard sale for $10. Found it wouldn't hold zero and threw inconsistent charges. from RCBS I purchased replacement agate V-blocks for another $10 plus $2 shipping and voila I have a perfectly functioning scale. Keep those v-blocks clean. Q-tips work. Do not lubricate them.

Last edited:
I still have my old Lyman D-5 scale from 1966 when I put my first reloading tools together. It still is right with my RCBS 10-10. Beam scales. V slots have to be checked and cleaned often, Just installing and removing the beam for storage can cause burrs to develop on the knife edges of the beam pivots. I check the knife edges with a magnifying glass and stone off any visible burrs.
Playing steel guitar in a band, I had many electronic problems from voltage changes when playing different locations. I do not trust electronic scales, Voltage changes can really mess up many electronic items.
I thought RCBS had some real inherent problems with the 10-10 scales, I know the last two RCBS 10-10 scales I had, gave me nothing but problems, I just didn't trust them that's the reason I moved on to the Ohaus Diel-O-Grain 1110 bean balance scale. The 505 now the 500 never seemed to have the same problems, and as reloading scales go it was quite good for a balance beam scale. Just my .02 Cheers