Beam scale or RCBS Lite

2guns

My rcbs 505 has finally bit the dust. I've got the older version of the Hornady auto charge which has worked great for 4-5 years. It's constantly wandering from zero and always either 2-3 grains less or more.
I don't want to buy a Chinese made beam scale. I keep noticing the Rcbs lite is getting excellent reviews. From videos I've watched it doesn't appear to need the straw trick or change mode to start trickling for an additional 2 seconds.
I'm leaning towards the Rcbs but would be happy to take any advise.

You owe this to yourself!

At about 1/2 the price of an fx120i, it is an extremely accurate and stable scale.

I have an old as the hills Ohaus 1010 beam scale (later became the RCBS). It still works perfectly. I use to weigh each powder charge separately (rifle) fine tuning with a RCBS powder trickler, and the Ohaus 1010 scale to weigh and confirm. Slow as heck, but very precise.
I happened upon the RCBS Lite about a year ago, and love it. It is precise, you don't need the "straw" to 'fine tune' the last couple of grains of powder, and it has NEVER overcharged or undercharged a load of powder. Every tenth load gets confirmed on my beam scale, just to be sure.
I'm not sure if I personally would go with only the RCBS Lite. I want a powder scale to confirm what it's throwing. A quality scale is mandatory in reloading, and like optics spend a little more for a quality piece of equipment.

Last edited:
I can use an old Lee beam scale to check but my older eyes dont care much for it. I know electronics have come a long way since I bought the original Hornady. I've got 3 small pocket digitals but don't use them much other than weighing bullets and brass.

My 505 loses zero every time I bump it the slightest. I put cotton balls in the inside and a small railroad spike and zip tied it in and it helps some but not enough for me to trust it.

There are many digital scales that work well. The key is to zero the scale prior to weighing each load. This is just common laboratory practice. Good check weights assure long term accuracy. Higher end scales have auto zero/auto tare functions built in.

I use the Chargemaster 1500 and find it to be extremely reliable, stable, and accurate.

I let mine warm up always. As far as the Hornady Auto Charge I never turn it off. I use checkweights from RCBS on all scales before loading and check through the process ever so often. I've used the 1500 before but if the Lite is sufficient I can save around $200. I went over to eBay and the beam scales are either wore out or way more than the price of a new one.

I second Laelkhunter,,,,, I've checked the accuracy of the RCBS Lite against my Chargemaster, dual beam RCBS scale AND a high precision electronic scale and they all agree within +/- 0.1. I also use the Lite for loading at the range because it can dispense powder with the windscreen in place so the moving outdoor air has no effect. Also, you can hit ZERO on the Lite before dispensing without loosing the charge weight entry (the Chargemaster won 't do that). At home, I still use the beam scale to check charges when I want to absolutely certain whatever weirdness I see in a load didn't come from a charge error.

I have been using the Lite version for several years and finds it does very well if you calibrate it per the startup instructions.
I still check each charge on a second scale but that's jus me. I did install the smaller metering nozzles in the tube and they work well. You can do the straw trick also which does work with long kernel powder.

My Ohaus is coming up on some 60 + years and still going strong- went digital few + years back but keep coming back to my Ohaus and still use it today.
My Ohaus 1010 was purchased from Gil Hebard (they were in Chicago I think) for about $29 in 1977. My math skills are dwindling, but I think it's pretty old.

Last edited:
I have used both the 1500 and lite. Aside from memory, I didn't see a significant difference. I initially had overcharging issues with the lite, but adding a straw cured that for the most part. The Bluetooth feature on the lite is nice. My lite started short charging by 2-3 grains after about a year. I'm not knocking the lite as I believe the unit was damaged by my neglect. I receive electricity from a rural coop and get multiple power surges each month. Couple this with leaving the unit on 24/7 and not using a surge protector and I was asking for trouble. I searched online and was unable to locate anyone who services the lite, but did find a company who services and repairs the 1500, so I went with that unit.