Barrel Length Question

When I jumped from Super 14 Contenders to XP's and Striker's...I found that the added size of the action and stock was more cumbersome than the added barrel length. My bolt action handguns were 15" to 17" barrels.

But now that I've been in the field with the bolt guns for about three years now I've become accustomed to the added size. It's just like the difference between a 7# carry gun and a 13# LR gun. I use the lighter T/C's (walking) and bolt guns (sitting and glassing) for different applications so the added size is not an issue.

But in short...15" to 18" (w/ a brake) seems to be about the norm.

Dan B,

Thanks for the reply. The intent is for a two gun combo for shorter and longer range use from a hide situation and to have one readily accessible while "sledding in" or packing the big girl.

I guess I'll start with a striker of some sort seeing as I sold my XP many moons ago. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Only downside of the Striker is the trigger. Some of those triggers slick up great, while others seem to be a problem child.

[ QUOTE ]
What cartridge(s) are you considering?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really know but here's the intended use: Coyotes/Deer/Elk.

For yotes it would be used for anything that isn't in the "selected" shooting lane, as when one is coming in and ya can't get the big girl moved over in time.

For deer and elk it would be the "reach for" gun when dragging or toting the big girl and other stuff to the hide. Then it would be used for shorter scouting missions while there.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.