Barrel carboned up - thoughts on Gumout Regane?

Thanks for all the suggestions, it really helps when trying to correct a problem that was self inflicted! The C4 arrives tomorrow but I picked up the Seafoam spray and plan on soaking the barrel for a while with it. I also plan on soaking the barrel overnight with Kroil as a possibility it will"creep" into the carbon coating. The local GM dealership did not have the top engine carbon cleaner in stock so I tried the Seafoam for now plus waiting for C4. I guess from what I am seeing in the barrel and read is likely I have bonded the carbon to the steel which makes it the toughest to remove. It seems almost like a ceramic coating being so impervious to so many different cleaners including JB with bronze brush! What a life lesson that is painful since I had just purchased the Magpul 700 stock which fits great and allows me to use slightly longer COAL with the box magazine.

I was hoping to use this rifle this fall for elk/mule deer but may have to use old reliable Sendero in 300WM (better shooter but weighs in quite a bit heavier) which is OK.

My basement smells like a refinery right now and have egress window open, candle burning and my ozonics running....Wife ain't happy about that at all....

Attachments

• Sea Foam Spray   Intake Valve and Top Engine Cleaner and Lubricant.png
    Sea Foam Spray Intake Valve and Top Engine Cleaner and Lubricant.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 115
one thing i found that a old timer here in arizona told me about to clean black powder that worked super for me, also use to clean smokeless powder 1/3 hydrogen peroxide, 1/3 rubbing alcohol, 1/3 Murphys oil soap

Thanks for all the suggestions, it really helps when trying to correct a problem that was self inflicted! The C4 arrives tomorrow but I picked up the Seafoam spray and plan on soaking the barrel for a while with it. I also plan on soaking the barrel overnight with Kroil as a possibility it will"creep" into the carbon coating. The local GM dealership did not have the top engine carbon cleaner in stock so I tried the Seafoam for now plus waiting for C4. I guess from what I am seeing in the barrel and read is likely I have bonded the carbon to the steel which makes it the toughest to remove. It seems almost like a ceramic coating being so impervious to so many different cleaners including JB with bronze brush! What a life lesson that is painful since I had just purchased the Magpul 700 stock which fits great and allows me to use slightly longer COAL with the box magazine.

I was hoping to use this rifle this fall for elk/mule deer but may have to use old reliable Sendero in 300WM (better shooter but weighs in quite a bit heavier) which is OK.

My basement smells like a refinery right now and have egress window open, candle burning and my ozonics running....Wife ain't happy about that at all....
Try the Slick 2000 Carbon Eliminator. It REALLY works. Mike

a old timer here in arizona told me to use 1/3 hydrogen peroxide, 1/3 rubbing alcohol, 1/3 murphys oil soap for black powder works very good, I also use to clean smokeless powder firearms

Carbon is a bitch. Elbow grease works the best. Jb on patch wrapped around a brush works well. Once it's gone keep it gone is the best approach. Get it all every cleaning. Don't worry about how many strokes it takes you ain't gonna wear that barrel out. I see the top guys at 1000 yards compatition stroke over 100 strokes after each 20 rounds. They win. Shep

Carbon is a bitch. Elbow grease works the best. Jb on patch wrapped around a brush works well. Once it's gone keep it gone is the best approach. Get it all every cleaning. Don't worry about how many strokes it takes you ain't gonna wear that barrel out. I see the top guys at 1000 yards compatition stroke over 100 strokes after each 20 rounds. They win. Shep
thats the way I have done it every since I bought a bore scope an thought I was getting them clean :) JB or ISSO . c4 didnt do it for me

Iosso works great to. Jb is cheaper. I got a tip at the range that works great for me also. Mix jb 50/50 with copper cleaner in a bottle. I put stainless nuts in my bottle and shake. This slurry really cleans a barrel fast and complete.
Shep

Iosso works great to. Jb is cheaper. I got a tip at the range that works great for me also. Mix jb 50/50 with copper cleaner in a bottle. I put stainless nuts in my bottle and shake. This slurry really cleans a barrel fast and complete.
Shep
which copper cleaner do you use? If I may ask. I love the boretech eliminator but feel I wasted money on the c4

Anybody try Flitz? I left the Seafoam in barrel for 2 hours and NADA with bronze brush. Gonna leave it in for 4 hours next. No faith that it will work. I will probably start a list of everything I have tried so far that hasn't worked, its getting longer by the day. I bought a dozen brushes so I am leaning toward JB the crap out of it. Sure will be a smooth bore when done!!

I use either sweets or Montana. Mixed with jb it will clean your barrel like no other. No waiting for it to work. Just put it on your brush and go to town. Make sure you have a bore guide that fits properly. I usually give it 20 full strokes and give it 5 minutes. Clean it out and check with scope. Never had to do this more than 3 times. Then oil once clean lightly. I use bin on my bullets and it cleans in one cycle all the way spotless every time. Shep

Unless the copper is under the carbon, it appears to be free of it so far. Just shiny black coating. The rifling is bright steel so the carbon is just in the lands as expected. I will grab some Iosso tomorrow as another scrubber in addition to the JB I have. One hellava PT for my shoulder!

I'm betting c4 works. My PRC made itself a ring and c4 knocked it out in no time. They also have an even strong carbon remover called chameleon gel if c4 doesn't do it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts