Barrel break procedures?

So I gotta ask is there an actual no BS way of breaking in a barrel other than just plain shooting and cleaning? If you don't do XYZ have you just lost some of the potential in your barrel? If you do go through what ever procedure it is do you actually gain any life, or accuracy in your barrel. And if you do have a procedure what is it, and how can you actually prove with practical application that any type of procedure actually did any thing to affect your barrel that just plain old shooting and cleaning wouldn't do.
Brad
It's a bit of another TRUTH OR FICTION question. But whether or not it's true...it can't hurt to try it...you are going to shoot the shells anyway...why not error on the side of caution?

I clean after every shot for the first 5 shots. Then I shoot a 5 round string, then clean it once more, and then I only clean every 100 rounds from then on out.

Funny that this thread came up. I just broke in a barrel today.
I stuck to Weatherby's suggested break-in routine and it seems to have worked for the most.
Clean after every round for 10, then after every 3 for the next 30.
I did notice a significant change in the time it took to clean from the first shots to the last to get the copper fouling out. At first it was taking 3-4 rounds of CR-10 to clean it all out, whereas at the end I was only having to do 1 round.
As far as accuracy goes, I have nothing to speak to for it. I was having more fun shooting at random stuff in the field to alleviate the frustration of having to clean the barrel repeatedly

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts