Badger bites the dust!!!

remingtonman_25_06

Went out last night looking for a yote. Didn't see any, not surprised. The last 5 or 6 times I"ve been out, I've only seen 1, and my buddy happened to miss him standing at 325 yards with his 257 WM. Anyways, I did happen to spot a badger off the side of the road. By the time I stopped and jumped out of the truck, he ran across the road and got in his hole. I jumped back in my truck and was going to back up and see if his head was sticking out of the hole. About that time, I gave one more look and he was back out of his hole standing up facing me. It was only about 75 yards, but the 25-06 w/100g NBT at 3350fps did not fail. I"m surprised at how badgers never really get blown up. I've shot plenty of them and although my bullets always exit, there not big holes. I dont know why, but you would think a 100g NBT at 3350fps would rip them apart, it dont. I found my bullet in the bank as well. IT weighed like 45g and the core was still intact! Right before I was taking the pic, the farmer came down the road and was quite pleased I had taken her out. Farmers dont particularly care for badgers... Anyways, heres the glory photo!!

48n52xj.jpg

Thanks GG. Yah finding the Btip was pretty cool. I could see the dirt splatter up behind him after I shot. First thing I did was start digging for the bullet, ha ha!

Yah, I got cold feet, and decided maybe that it wasn't the best time for me to be going in...Just got married, kinda got conned into a job I didn't want in the first place...

GREAT PIC!!! Congrats.
One of my first years hunting in Utah with my dad we found a badger sitting on his mound at about 100 yards. My dad said if I shot it he would get it mounted. The only way I could get a clear shot was to stand on the extended bumper of our Toyota Land Cruser and shoot off hand. The critter was nice enough to let this poor 16 year old kid take three shots before he(I) hit it. I was shooting a 243 but I don't know the exact bullet. My dad reloaded them so I do know they were Siera hollow points, and probably pushed pretty hard. Anyways, I remember seeing through and around the scope pieces of that badger going in every direction. SPECTACULAR!!! My first experience with the graphic fun of varmints. Needless to say there wasn't enough left for the taxadermist.
The only other badger I've shot was with a 6mm and a Speer 105gr. Little hole in+medium hole out+badger on the wall=happy rancher (and shooter).

Hey, 2506 I got one of them rascall's too the other day. We were just headed to another chuck hunting spot and there he was in a pasture. It was so big and cream colored I thought it was a cougar at first squatted down. But I plopped down prone and hit him with the tikka 22-250, about 150 yards. I'll try to get a pic.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.