AZ Unit 3c Elk

It's one of the better units for bigger bulls in Arizona, it's my backyard. The unit borders the Ft. Apache Reservation which holds some of the best free range elk hunting in the world. 3C is a hard tag to draw during the rut hunts, not easy to draw the late hunts for that matter. You'll find a lot of the bigger bulls along the reservation border along the rim road, between Heber and Show Low. You can drive that road and look for elk sign where bulls may be crossing off the Rez. If you're lucky enough to draw a bull tag during the rut I'd encourage you to take the whole hunt off, it's a great opportunity at a good bull. Great numbers and great genes. If you have an archery tag and have limited time, the rut heats up as the hunt goes on, I'd take the last half of the hunt off and not the first.

Last edited:
That's good advise to drive rim road between Heber and show low. Thought they closed rim road where it turned into the dirt road? Will check that area out next time I am up that way.

Had not thought about using this time to learn the roads and trails. That's a great idea that way as we get closer to hunting time we can be more effective with our scouting. Helping a friend with unit 27 late elk hunt any ideas where the elk may be that late in the season?

Had not thought about using this time to learn the roads and trails. That's a great idea that way as we get closer to hunting time we can be more effective with our scouting. Helping a friend with unit 27 late elk hunt any ideas where the elk may be that late in the season?
Depends on weather. Lots of snow will start to move them lower. But heavy pressure for the 3-4 months before the late rifle hunt will have the big bulls pushed into the steep, nasty thick canyons far from roads. Be prepared for some brutal hikes.