Axis deer projectile choice

Caulder

Have an axis deer hunt in two weeks, and would very much appreciate advice. Father in law is using my rifle for an aoudad and then we're stalking for an axis, same rifle. It's a 16.5 inch 308 10 twist and I'm told to expect 200 to 250 yard shots for both the axis and the aoudad.

I've recently switched over to loading hammers and the 137HH and 151AH are the only recipes I've worked up for this gun, but I've never hunted with the hammers. I have a load for the 137gr Hammer hunters at about 2850, and another for the 151 AH at about the same, maybe slightly faster. Both around .5 to .8 moa give-or-take at 200 yards.

A little nervous about going after an expensive aoudad and axis deer with a bullet I have never used to take game. You guys think I am good with either of my current loads, and if so, which one--the 137HH or the 151AH? Alternatively, should I try to work up a load with 165 gr partitions or 178 gr ELDX in the next two weeks instead?

Thanks in advance

I have no experience with Hammers but according to the reviews on this site, I'd guess you're good to go.
However, I've killed several Aoudad and Axis. They are not bullet proof and have been killed with my 6.5-284 and 284 Win with Nosler Ballistic Tip from 150-350 yards.
My buddy has killed both with Creedmoor, although the Aoudad took 2 shots.
He's also killed Aoudad with his 30-06 and 165 core-lok factory ammo.

A good accurate 308 load with 150-165 cup and core should get it done as well.

Nothing about a special bullet is needed.
Your current accuracy load should do you well.

Best of luck on your hunt!!

My son and I both got Aoudad rams in February. I don't remember the exact distance but mine was around 380 yds 28 Nosler 143 HH. My sons was around 260 yds 300 WM with 166 HH. Both expired within a few steps.

As we all know…An accurately placed shot trumps bullet manufacturer and construction.
The Aoudad is a tough critter and will leave the scene with body parts dragging.
I watched one leave with a poor shot from a 300 PRC with 212 ELD-X. We had to track it and shoot it again.

Last edited:
I've taken many Axis in the last 10 or so years with a Hor 143 ELD-x. Shot placement is key.......as with any animal.
IMG_0245.JPG