ATTENTION SHERMAN SHOOTERS

One suggestion that you may not be able to do because of litigation reasons, may be to offer a load data page on your site, being that it is a wildcat cartridge. Not having load data is a scary thought to many that are somewhat new to reloading, or have never loaded for anything without solid data. Having some basic load data may very well help improve your sales, and convince a few more people to go ahead with a Sherman build. I realize that this may not be possible due to liability issues, but if you can find a way to do it, I bet it would help!!!

We are actually working on one. I won't give max but starting and moderate with disclaimers!!
Excellent!!! It will be nice when those people on facebook post asking "Which cartridge should I go with?" and instead of trying to explain exactly what a Sherman cartridge is, and post pics and such, I can just post a link and tell em to go LOOK!!! ha ha.

The safe way for load data is to give a starting COAL and/or jump and then print out a quickload load data output list for it. That removes most liability as you are not directly offering a specific powder and load amount. You can then do a break down of the top 3 best powders in your opinion again with the quickload data with various load amounts and star the one that you find best. Make sure to keep the quickload warning message as well one each print out. Dan Warner of Warner tools did something very similar to help with load data for his flatline bullets to get people started. Another thing would be to have specific thread on here and post your best loads. Then provide a link to the thread if you end up with a website or link in email or other document.

My newly put together 7SS. I may change out the stock, scope, or mounts at some point over time. But this is her all dressed up to go out.

LPA Titanium Short Action
Hells Canyon Arms Carbon Wrapped Barrel, 1 in 8, 26 inches
Trigger Tech Trigger at 1.5lbs
Hawkins BDL bottom metal
B&C Medalist Stock
Zeiss V6 3-18
8.5 lbs without the bipod
7SS.JPG

I have a question for the 6.5 SS. If a guy was to put one of these together with intention of running it mild/moderate as a long range plinker/varmint/deer rifle. Say your goal would be to hit 2950-3000 with the 140gr Berger's what could a guy expect for barrel life? Would it match or maybe even exceed a 6.5 Creedmore?

I have a question for the 6.5 SS. If a guy was to put one of these together with intention of running it mild/moderate as a long range plinker/varmint/deer rifle. Say your goal would be to hit 2950-3000 with the 140gr Berger's what could a guy expect for barrel life? Would it match or maybe even exceed a 6.5 Creedmore?

Pretty sure it would exceed. Here is an example: .I loaded 42 grains of H4895 behind a 130 ELDM and shot .0's at VERY low pressure! A client just did the same with his, shooting the 130 Berger. Here is his 1008 yard group in a 12-14 mph crosswind while fire forming! 5 shots with 1 1/2" vertical with 1 shot left likely due to the wind. This was 3000 mv with a 7 twist 28" barrel.
IMG_20180422_1845415 crop.jpg

This was in the sst so the ss would be worth about 75 more feet at equal pressure

just throwing this out here 338 sherman shortmag loaded long with 260 grain hammer bullets.
gunsmith will have my long action rifle next week to build a 338 sherman shortmag for this setup.

P.S.
Thanks Rich and Steve

IMG_20180601_110420212.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts