Are Hogs Realy Dangerous?

J E Custom

I hear about all the rifles that are used to hunt hogs and just wanted to pass this along.

First I can attest to the fact that they can/are dangerous having been charged many times
by wounded hogs. I prefer to use a heavy load of shot from a 12 gauge for protection.

No matter what you shoot them with, If they are not dead don't go looking for them without
something that you can hit with close and fast.

I gust got an E Mail of a guy that was tracking a hog after it was poorly shot with a 300 win mag.

The hog surprised him and 57 stitches worth of cuts all over him someone finally killed the hog.

I would post the pictures but I,m not sure he would like that.

With the regular hunting seasons not far away I just wanted to remind everyone to be carefully,
Pigs are dangerous.

J E CUSTOM

Good, Timely reminder.

Took a couple of my Idaho bred Catahoulas to Conroe and north of DFW.

Working cows with them, the Idaho way, was an eye opener for them.

Getting the training pen with a bunch of pigs and a dog was an eye opener for me.:rolleyes:

Mama pigs always ignored the dogs and came after the human. Me, in this case.:rolleyes:

All they gave for protection was a hunk of plywood.:rolleyes:

@ my first hog trial at Conroe, after the first four go 'rounds the score was hogs 4 - handlers and dogs 0...

One handler who had no business owning a Catahoula let a
Lone taking it in the trial pen, got a 6" slash just below he knee that any surgeon would be proud of.

Yep, I'd be cautious of ol Mr/mrs hog.....

My cousins hog dogs wear vests with carry handles on the back so the dogs are protected and he can grab them in a hurry if need be...hogs are no joke.

They are one ****ed off animal. I got nailed by a 300lb sow in a briar patch. We were walking through going to a stand and we walked up on the sow and some piglets. She charged me and my buddy jumped up a poison ivy covered pine tree lol and i was in the open. She hit me so freakin hard next thing i know she knocks me off my feet. She goes past me and turns and charges back at me , luckily i always carry a pistol with me during bow season, as shes running at me i pull it of and pulled the trigger. That 230gr gold dot hp hit her in the head and she dropped. I went ahead and put a few extra .45s in her to be safe. Needless to say we didnt hunt bc i needed to go home to change my britches. They aint no joke!

On any occasion were tracking a wounded animal is involved my "go to gun" is always my 308 ar10 carbine loaded with 150 or 180gr core lokt soft points however, I have been pulling out my 12ga more frequently for my back up gun when going after hogs specifically, loaded with 3in magnum 00buck.

I am from S.C.,YES,Hogs are very dangerous !! There's a Biologist from UGa. @ Savanaha River Site that claims that wild hogs can't get that large. There isn't enough forage in the wild to grow/support hogs over 500 lbs. He needs to see the crop fields in S.C. & Ga., particularly the corn, soybean & especially the p-nut fields. I,personally have been treed 3 times. 1st. time it just scared me,no real danger. 2nd. & 3rd. times I somehow wound up between a sow & her piglets ;those times were real problems!! Hogs are omnivores, they eat any thing. I personally think under the right circumstances they prefer meat,especially when they are being baited by "that smell" that follows me when scared !" Ya'll be careful out there!" Paul

Having been charged several times I think they can be dangerous. That's why I use a 50 Beowulf loaded with 400 grain Woodleigh flat points for close range encounters. Very effective.

Well some 25 years ago, a friend and I decided to go hunting (ferrel hogs) in this one particular area in Missouri. We figured that using the smoke poles would be more nostalgic and fun to do...........NOPE! I learned my lesson that day carrying a Hawkin .50 cal. rifle. My buddy carried a .54 and his pistol in a .50 cal BP gun.

I had been walking in the creek bed and my hunting buddy was 40 yds from the edge in the level field. Then suddenly this big bore hog (275lb) comes snorting out from under a shade tree that was leaning bad in the creek. I fired my Hawkin at 25 yds but it did not stop that critter a tall.

I ran to the side of the creek, climbed up on some of the limbs and vines hanging down and yelled my lungs out for my friend to come a running. He did and laid a ball right in the top of the head of that hog, dropping him to his knees. Then he pulled his pistol and gave it a broad side shot in the ribs. I was lucky that day and the LORD! I never went hog hunting again unless I had one of my lever guns, either a .444 Marlin or 45/70 Marlin loaded with 405 grn bullets.

After catching a glimpse of a ~500lber, I find myself carrying my shot gun along with my usual rifle and pistol I take when hog hunting.

when hogs start acting up, i hit them with a 'piggy-be-good' stick. these aren't so dangerous anymore

cc3_zps41ef6843.jpg

Excellent post!

"Everything out here will either stick ya, stab ya or bite ya" John Wayne

They are incredibly tough animals and they can soak up a lot of lead. I think they are usually underestimated and are frequently shot with rifles that aren't up to the task. That can sometimes just annoy the hell out of them and given the opportunity they will turn the tables.

Finally found the picture I was looking for. This was taken about 5 years ago and is the biggest hog I have ever taken (not the biggest I have seen). Running into one of these up close and personal when they are in a bad mood could ruin your day I think.

Attachments

• 07-01-08_0943.jpg
    07-01-08_0943.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 184
I am from S.C.,YES,Hogs are very dangerous !! There's a Biologist from UGa. @ Savanaha River Site that claims that wild hogs can't get that large. There isn't enough forage in the wild to grow/support hogs over 500 lbs. He needs to see the crop fields in S.C. & Ga., particularly the corn, soybean & especially the p-nut fields. I,personally have been treed 3 times. 1st. time it just scared me,no real danger. 2nd. & 3rd. times I somehow wound up between a sow & her piglets ;those times were real problems!! Hogs are omnivores, they eat any thing. I personally think under the right circumstances they prefer meat,especially when they are being baited by "that smell" that follows me when scared !" Ya'll be careful out there!" Paul

On any occasion were tracking a wounded animal is involved my "go to gun" is always my 308 ar10 carbine loaded with 150 or 180gr core lokt soft points however, I have been pulling out my 12ga more frequently for my back up gun when going after hogs specifically, loaded with 3in magnum 00buck.

Texas here.... Let me say this I carry a 308 Savage and prefer long shots for them , my backup is a 44 mag Redhawk....... They can turn over an ATV, or jump into it too....I have seen sounders that were more than 30 and that time; that was was after we shot 15 out of the group..... Yeah they're dangerous.... If I'm on foot still hunting them I use a DPMS 308, and my 44 mag backup ......