Anyone ever use 25 cal for elk?

Buska

Just looking for some feedback on what the title says. I know it's not an ideal caliber to kill elk with but that's what I've got to work with this year . I shoot a 25-06 AI. I'm also wonderig what 25 cal bullets guys have used successfully on elk if there are any of you out there. I'm thinking TSX, Accubond or partition. The rifle shoots the VLDs exceptionally well but have never used them on anything but deer so not sure. I know effective range will be limited with this rifle on elk but back to the original question...who's used a 25 cal on elk and how did it work out? And what bullet would you load for the application? Thanks guys

You might try the search function as this has been discussed. Basically the bullets you mentioned are at the top of the heap for elk. With care you can cleanly harvest one with that caliber. I'd probably used the TTSX or the AB depending on which shot best for me....
Yesterday I found it mentioned over on the Hide that Cabelas had a sale on one of the Savage rifles at around $350. Was in their June flier. Then Savage has a $100 rebate. In store only. Might save you some trouble to pick up one in a larger caliber. Just a thought. Bruce

That's sound advice. By the time I get bullets to play with, new powders to try, load work, etc. it would probably be cheaper to go that route. Thanks for the info I'll check it out

The smallest that I have used on elk is a 110g mono from a 6.5-06 at 550y. Bullet did just fine. Elk did not really know that he had been hit he just fell over after three. I think that shot really was a push but lungs were a mess so no complaints. Many elk have been taken with .243.

So IMO you can certainly hunt elk with a great quality bullet and keep the shot to about 300y or less. What twist is your barrel? I believe we have a bullet that you can do the job with and have your load development done inside 20 rounds Far less than a new rifle and optics.

Steve

The smallest that I have used on elk is a 110g mono from a 6.5-06 at 550y. Bullet did just fine. Elk did not really know that he had been hit he just fell over after three. I think that shot really was a push but lungs were a mess so no complaints. Many elk have been taken with .243.

So IMO you can certainly hunt elk with a great quality bullet and keep the shot to about 300y or less. What twist is your barrel? I believe we have a bullet that you can do the job with and have your load development done inside 20 rounds Far less than a new rifle and optics.

Steve

Steve sign me up! I looked at your website, your bullets look great. The .257" 103 Hammer Hunter would be good to try but because of twist (1/10) I would be limited to the 92 grain Hammer Hunter. In my rifle, that would have serious velocity, I'm not even sure because I've never shot less than 100 gr monos through it but I'm guessing 3700-3800?? That would generate 1700-1800 ft/lbs @ 300 yards (according to JBM, that's rough estimate, used 90gr GMX for the bullet).

I've killed quite a few elk with a 250 AI, used a variety of bullets to do so, it's the same as any other caliber all you need is to put the bullet behind the shoulder and have it make it to the other side and open up and you'll have dead elk every time. The last elk I saw killed took a 120 Hornady and it looked like a blood bath for about 10 yards before she piled up, 100 yards from her was the biggest cow elk I ever saw piled up by a 130 gr bullet from a 270 they made for a nice truck load!

My nephew pulled a youth Cow tag here in AZ a couple years ago. We had built him a nice .250-3000 Savage to start hunting with due to low recoil and excellent performance on game. We loaded 115gr Bergers in a 24" 10 twist Shaw barrel pushed by 36 grains of reloader 17 at 2840fps. Long story short he shot a really nice Cow at just over 200 yards. She soaked it up and managed to make it about 60 yards but I'm not sure how. The lungs were total mush and you could fit your fist in the exit hole. To top it off we found the heart lodged in her throat. Even though she ran a little ways we have never questioned the killing capability of that little cartridge or the 115 Berger. At 25-06 Velocities I wouldn't hesitate out to 500 yards and I wouldn't think I didn't bring enough gun either.

If it's all you have then you have to work with it and know your shot limits. Have shot several cow elk with a 25-06 using Partitions and when shot through the lungs they don't have a chance. Full pass through even at 225 yards. These were on cow elk hunts where we see lots of elk and we can pick our shots. If a person has drawn a good bull tag I would beg/borrow a larger rifle what do you do when you have that bull of a life time facing right at you at 300 yards and you have a 25-06? You have to pass the shot.

Hunting public land here in Co on a bull tag I'll use 30 cal mag and if I draw cow tag I'll use 30-06.

Bull here has to have 4 points and be a shame to pass on a shot.

Have probably killed 30 elk or so with a 257 Weatherby. I used 117 gr.partition bullets. Nothing killed was farther than about 350 yds. Just know your limits.

I have taken several elk with my 257 weatherby. Most of them were with 115 gr ballistic tips. Most of the shots were taken between 50 and 300 yards. I did take one bull at 425 with that combo. If that's what you have and you trust it, go put a tag on an elk

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.