Anyone ever make their own hollow points?

Yep. We've been doing it for decades, and while most of the time I use one of my point forming swage dies, there are other solutions from having seating stems custom made, a modified bullet sizing die to using the simple device below:

The Universal Hollow pointer drills cavities in the noses of cast or jacketed softnose bullets. After the drill is locked into the cutter shaft, a loaded cartridge is placed in the collet of the trimmer. A bushing centers the drill's tip against the nose of the bullet as the cartridge is locked in place. Hollow point depth is controlled by setting the stop collar of your trimmer. The Hollow pointer is available in either 1/8" (handgun) or 1/16" (rifle) drill sizes. Either a short or long Case Trimmer base might be necessary for very short or very long rounds, and the Hollow pointer can be used with our Case Trimmer Power Adapter. By creating your own hollow pointed rounds you'll enjoy significant economies and controllable performance because you can alter the hollow point size and depth to fit your own requirements.

Finally got some good weather to test these bullets. As I said above, accuracy was the same or better. First test was 8" of water then into soaked newspaper.original fusion had total penetration of 14" HP went 13" as can be seen in photo, original fusion expanded perfectly! HP lost a lot of weight. Second test was just wet newspaper I had left over. Top hole is HP bottom is original at 9" of penetration. Only had 12" of newspaper left so both bullets went right through all media. Bottom line, I'm very excited to try this HP on deer this fall! Never had any complaints out of my .338 federal as far as terminal ballistics with any bullet used but think these are going to be the best yet!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6219.jpeg
    IMG_6219.jpeg
    474.2 KB · Views: 17
I have been wondering the same thing but to make hp out of fmjs for varmints. I came across this:

A little pricey but looks like the method has been developed. Thinking about giving it a try.
Doesn't this close the Hollow point on a bullet?

Cast bullet moulds for hollow points are special moulds with a removable pin that creates the cavity.
I'm not talking about cast bullets, some of those guys are making swedged bullets, some are copper jackets and others are brass jackets

I cast hollow point pistol bullets but I don't have the stuff for swedging.