Anybody else had to do this?

I get it, it's frustrating, being that you were the early bird and had every "right" to scoop it all up. I'm with you, I work hard to position myself to take care of my needs/wants and these current times of regulation/moderation frustrate the living snot out of me. To help me self come to terms with it....

It might make us all feel better to think of the other side of the story and paint ourselves a different picture.

imagine the next guy that came into that store and low and behold there's 9 one-pound bottles of H1000. He's been struggling to get his sons rifle dialed in with a load all summer and finally stumbled into a magic recipe of H1000 that a friend gave him a 1/4 lbs of. That was enough to show real promise but not enough to spend time practicing nor enough to hunt with. So imagine his good fortune when his prayers are answered and he is able to buy 1 pound, just enough to get his son comfortable out to 300 yards and ready for his first big game hunt!!

It's all about context. Frustrating for sure, but there can be a half-full perspective if we are willing to look for it.

imagine the next guy that came into that store and low and behold there's 9 one-pound bottles of H1000. He's been struggling to get his sons rifle dialed in with a load all summer and finally stumbled into a magic recipe of H1000 that a friend gave him a 1/4 lbs of. That was enough to show real promise but not enough to spend time practicing nor enough to hunt with. So imagine his good fortune when his prayers are answered and he is able to buy 1 pound, just enough to get his son comfortable out to 300 yards and ready for his first big game hunt!!
Excellent!! Right there is one of the main reasons I love this forum. Very true picture you just painted. Heck, I'd have been happy only walking out with 5 or 6 lbs... 😁

Yep, there are probably 10 guys out there that would be happy to get "a" pound of H1000. 1 really happy customer, or 10 happy customers and one disappointed customer that was expecting to be disappointed when he got there. That is kind of the local gun shop game. They sell alot more Savage Axis than Cooper Backcountry and alot of guys buy powder a pound at a time. At least it's not like the guy with the shop here in town. He is gouging for $42 per pound of any powder. Oddly he still has stock. Best of luck.

The owner of the 'other shop' I mentioned is VERY MUCH of the mind-set that "You Make Hay When The Sun Shines" and "First Come, First Served". Which I'm sure has a little bit to do with the fact that his shelves are somewhat empty right now. Maybe that has spoiled me a little bit.
Back in April he had 5 lbs of RL26 on his shelves that had been sitting there literally for months and he had ZERO problems letting me clean that all up to use in the .300 Win Mag. It wasn't what I wanted to use, BUT it was the only suitable powder I could find at the time and I wanted to take 'Feenix's' advice/challenge and develop a load with what was available then. I'm running a little low on it now..:(

Yep, there are probably 10 guys out there that would be happy to get "a" pound of H1000. 1 really happy customer, or 10 happy customers and one disappointed customer that was expecting to be disappointed when he got there. That is kind of the local gun shop game. They sell alot more Savage Axis than Cooper Backcountry and alot of guys buy powder a pound at a time. At least it's not like the guy with the shop here in town. He is gouging for $42 per pound of any powder. Oddly he still has stock. Best of luck.
I hate to say this, because I don't really agree with what he is doing. Under the guise of capitalism. what he is doing is ensuring he has stock for most if they are willing to pay the price. As to limiting a purchase to one container, no matter 8lb or 1lb. If you are shooting H1K, the cases you are filling dictates a pound doesn't go very far so buying 1lb does most no good.
I am not sure what is up with IMR and their enduron line, I see some surfaced lately, but if you cannot find powder, it is time to look elsewhere, there is life after retumbo.
Trying times like these just highlights shooters are their own worst enemy.

I can't agree with your logic. I would have been satisfied with a 1 pounder and let other folks have a shot at the remaining stock. Hoarding or whatever you want to call it is one reason why there is such a shortage on reloading powder and components. Just my opinion.

I can't agree with your logic. I would have been satisfied with a 1 pounder and let other folks have a shot at the remaining stock. Hoarding or whatever you want to call it is one reason why there is such a shortage on reloading powder and components. Just my opinion.
I hear you and your opinion is very welcome, in fact. I knew I'd get some opposing view-points and it's not a problem at all, Sir. ;)

When you're burning 90 grains of powder per shot one pound goes nowhere. When you're shooting a 223, it's actually pretty decent. A pound of cfe223 lasts a while if I only shoot one rifle. Problem is I have multiple rifles that eat the same powder.

I guess I kinda feel that way.......to a degree. Whether they get paid from one guy for 8 cans or 8 different guys for one can a piece......what's the difference?
The difference is your not their only loyal customer!! They are trying to help as many loyal customers as possible and keep some jerk from wiping out the entire inventory buying a life time worth of components because he can, that's the difference!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.