Any recent preferred barrel blanks reports?

They are the only barrel manufacturer that I am aware of that offers this as an option. I'm assuming most do this without the additional cost. Obviously there are some that don't do it at all.

Shilen laps stainless barrels. I did a plant tour about 15 years ago and they actually apply a thin copper plating to the inside of the stainless barrel to help lubricate the button used for rifling. That copper has to be removed by lapping afterwards. Not sure if they do it it or not on the chromoly.

They are the only barrel manufacturer that I am aware of that offers this as an option. I'm assuming most do this without the additional cost. Obviously there are some that don't do it at all.

I see it as an option for customers to save $ if they don't place that much value on the barrel maker lapping the blank rather than assuming everyone wants it and building it into the cost.

Video of my PBB 6mm Creed after 100 rds.

Bedded the rifle this weekend, will test on Monday.

Seems that the rough edges are breaking in a bit. Have you measured seating depth to the lands at all? Seems its most likely that the groove dia is out of spec but if it shoots good I dont know if that matters?

Last edited:
I am not bad mouthing PBB. I know several others who have PBB barrels and they shoot well but I just got this 6 mm Creedmoor barrel in and it is not cooperating. This is a video after 250 rounds of load development. Best Group is 1.3 inches. The details of the video tells more about the reloading process.

I plan to test three more bullets tomorrow and then I will contact PBB. When I originally contacted them, I had concerns about the land and grooves having a raised edge. They advise me to shoot it and then get back with them. One thing I have noticed about 3/4 of the way down the barrel when I'm cleaning it there's a tight spot for about 1.25".

I'd be asking for a new barrel and for them to pay for all the wasted ammo seeing how they told you to go shoot it knowing the barrel is way out of spec.