Any experience with OptiCo scopes?

That sounds like a great way to save some money, especially since the higher end scopes also have good warranties if something is wrong with a purchase.
Do you buy them mostly face to face, or online? I don't see many deals on used scopes where I'm at, but maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.
I try to watch for stuff on here, but so far I've always been a day late and/or a dollar short.

The time to buy is when they bring out a new line. 1st gen Razors have been a good value for a while and will eventually be back up.

I'm in the same boat Todd. I have whittled my rifle collection down to a few.
The last three scopes I've bought were two used Nightforce NXS I got from this site and a Nikon Tactical I found locally.

I have bought and sold quite a few scopes on EBay.
Look for good feedback and pics of the scope. That way you can make the determination it's not a clone fake..

I have bought and sold quite a few scopes on EBay.
Look for good feedback and pics of the scope. That way you can make the determination it's not a clone fake..
Like the $800 Leupold Mark IV that were floating around a few years back. There were some highly unhappy folks on that one.

Like the $800 Leupold Mark IV that were floating around a few years back. There were some highly unhappy folks on that one.

I haven't heard about that.
How does a person know a fake from a real one, especially when buying online?
My other fear of buying online is getting one that is defective, but I guess thats not as much of a worry if it has a warranty.

My other fear of buying online is getting one that is defective, but I guess thats not as much of a worry if it has a warranty.

I only buy from reputable online dealers. A deal that seems too good to be true..........usually is.
Fakes I can tell because of the language in the description. If it sounds like it was written in a foreign language.....it probably was.
And know your warranties. I have bought a lot of Swarovski, NF and Vortex with issues that were cheap because they had a problem. Sent them in and got back a perfect rig. I made about 2 grand a couple years ago buying Swarov binos with issues. Send them in and no questions asked got a fixed or NEW unit.

ToddC is right about the warranty. If you are not quite sure about the legitimacy of a scope, ask for pics of the serial number and under the turrets. Usually they will provide these things or.... If it's a fake they will know you are on to them, and they will back out of the deal...

There are tell tale signs of a fake, but I will try to get the serial number and call the company. Good example would be: On this site a few months back there was someone selling some VERY (VERY!!!) expensive laser range finding binos that I have a lot of experience with in the military. These were at a price that was probably a once in a lifetime find, either too good to be true or too good to pass up. To my surprise my wife ok'ed it and so I asked the guy for the serial number (to make sure it wasn't stolen gov property) and where he was located (not an address, but just maybe at least the state) so either I could or find someone to meet him (at a police department if he liked) to test them out. He wouldn't go for any of that and wanted me to just trust him with thousands of dollars of my money. Everything was fishy, right down to that listing may have been his only post. When that little voice of reason is trying to tell you something...listen. I have all to frequently ignored
it.:cool:

There are tell tale signs of a fake, but I will try to get the serial number and call the company. Good example would be: On this site a few months back there was someone selling some VERY (VERY!!!) expensive laser range finding binos that I have a lot of experience with in the military. These were at a price that was probably a once in a lifetime find, either too good to be true or too good to pass up. To my surprise my wife ok'ed it and so I asked the guy for the serial number (to make sure it wasn't stolen gov property) and where he was located (not an address, but just maybe at least the state) so either I could or find someone to meet him (at a police department if he liked) to test them out. He wouldn't go for any of that and wanted me to just trust him with thousands of dollars of my money. Everything was fishy, right down to that listing may have been his only post. When that little voice of reason is trying to tell you something...listen. I have all to frequently ignored
it.:cool:
I see guys on here all the time with 1 post elling something I have to send $2000 to them. Uhhhh NO. You better have been here a while and have a post or two or I'm out. Some guys on here I would send the deed to my house or my wife. Not getting screwed on the net falls down to COMMON SENSE and having a finely tuned BS detector.

Hi All
I've been looking at purchasing a new scope and ran across this brand.
They advertise as being a Montana company, but no mention of where the scopes and/or the components are actually made.
The warranty isn't as good as others- 5 year replacement/lifetime "50% Replacement", but if they are that good maybe that isn't an issue?
I haven't seen this brand mentioned before and just wondered if anyone had any experience?

Ron

Ron,

I too have never heard of this company. If you really want to check them out and you're near Bob Wards or Shedhorn Sports, they supposedly carry them.

Ed

Ron,

I too have never heard of this company. If you really want to check them out and you're near Bob Wards or Shedhorn Sports, they supposedly carry them.

Ed

Thanks, Ed. I'm not near any of the stores that have them, but I did call one.
I think what the others have said has a lot of merit- OptiCo doesn't have a great warranty, and being that they're made in China there's a good chance a problem will arise at some point.
What I'll probably do is keep putting money aside and get a better scope, maybe even a used one.
I do appreciate all the responses. It helps a lot to get others' opinions and hear their experiences!

Ron

Thanks, Ed. I'm not near any of the stores that have them, but I did call one.
I think what the others have said has a lot of merit- OptiCo doesn't have a great warranty, and being that they're made in China there's a good chance a problem will arise at some point.
What I'll probably do is keep putting money aside and get a better scope, maybe even a used one.
I do appreciate all the responses. It helps a lot to get others' opinions and hear their experiences!

Ron

Absolutely! We have a lot of members here that are always willing and able to lend a hand and share their experiences.

Cheers!

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.