any .470-.473 bolt face small primer usage

ARlife4me

for examples...........243win, 260rem, 6dash, 308win, 338fed and so on using small rifle primers is there a preference on using small standard vs small mag for best ignition, performance and reliability with case capacity between 30 and 50 grains? these hard to find and at reasonable prices has me wondering if needing to buy srp's in these type cartridges? while i do have a fair amount on large rifle primers i don't want to rely on the future of what might be available 1, 2 or 3 years from now. i don't shoot in below 50* temps much, so that's not an issue to be withstanding. reloading for 11 cartridges that use large rp's can dwindle stock at a good speed, especially when shooting more than 1 or 2 different bullet weights per cartridge and more than 1 (and up to 6) rifles in that same cartridge. 'd rather hold off on shooting as much than buying factory ammo at ridiculous prices. for that i can buy 500-1,000 cases per cartridge for 1/3 or more the price of factory ammo of the same amount. not sure on what too expect with small pockets in cases with afore mentioned capacities? any and all info would be appreciated!

for examples...........243win, 260rem, 6dash, 308win, 338fed and so on using small rifle primers is there a preference on using small standard vs small mag for best ignition, performance and reliability with case capacity between 30 and 50 grains? these hard to find and at reasonable prices has me wondering if needing to buy srp's in these type cartridges? while i do have a fair amount on large rifle primers i don't want to rely on the future of what might be available 1, 2 or 3 years from now. i don't shoot in below 50* temps much, so that's not an issue to be withstanding. reloading for 11 cartridges that use large rp's can dwindle stock at a good speed, especially when shooting more than 1 or 2 different bullet weights per cartridge and more than 1 (and up to 6) rifles in that same cartridge. 'd rather hold off on shooting as much than buying factory ammo at ridiculous prices. for that i can buy 500-1,000 cases per cartridge for 1/3 or more the price of factory ammo of the same amount. not sure on what too expect with small pockets in cases with afore mentioned capacities? any and all info would be appreciated!
I use CCI BR4 in my wife's 6.5x47 Lapua but CCI 450 on my 260AI with RL26 compressed loads and my 308 with RL17 compressed loads.

Soon to try some BR4s in my 22-250 AI using 22CM Alpha SRP fire formed cases.

I run SRP brass in 222 Rem, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6.5x47, 260AI & 7-08. Lapua SRP brass in 22-250 has been dropped, which is a pity, as it is the most consistent brass I have ever used for that cartridge, luckily I bought bulk 500 lots for each rifle.
I use magnum SRP Federal primers in my 222 Rem, and standard Federal SRP for all the others, however those are Match primers. All of these rounds have performed far more consistently using SRP brass. Would love to get some 25-06 SRP brass to test…

Cheers.

It's an abstract as any will fire. Best depends on the powder, flash hole, headspace, primer seating, and primer striking.
All local matters.
Of choices available, certain primers will provide best results -for you.
So you should not act on what others do, but instead, find your best through local testing.

Sounds like you're in the same boat I was in. I changed all my 6.5 CM, 308, 7mm-08, and 243 Win over the SRP over the last couple years mainly due of availability. I have mountains of CCI-450s but not nearly as many non-magnum LRPs. I didn't do it trying to gain any improvement, and haven't seen any decline from it. So to me it's a wash and I keep shooting. Lapua and Alpha both make 308 Win SRP that I use to form some of my improved cases instead of the true parent case. Saves me a neck-up step to put a false shoulder, just be careful of neck thickness if you're going down multiple caliber steps.

I've used CCI-450s and Rem 7-1/2s in ARs successfully without any primer strike issues. The Rem 7.5s are pretty much my exclusive subsonic primer, I've never needed to use anything else. Federal GM AR primers have also been good for me, not 100% sure on the actual spec difference in cup thickness or whatnot versus 205/205Ms, but I could get same-lot packs 5k at a time. Again wasn't chasing better, and didn't see a decline from them either.

from above replies................does the powder that's used (stick, ball, extruded) make a difference on your choice on small magnum or standard primers or using the same type across the board for your choice?

br-4's are in stock at times, but 400 and 450's are more easily obtainable (including fed and win compatibilities) when choosing for target or hunting loads

I shoot a bunch of SR primer cases.

.223 Wylde w. Fed GM205M
22GT w. CCI BR4
6CM w. Fed GM205M
25CM w. Fed GM205M
25CM w. CCI BR4
6.5CM w. CCI BR4
.260AI w. CCI450
.260AI w. Fed GM205M

I have a new 25cal wildcat I will be using SRP for. Probably CCI450 or Fed GM205M

Fed GM205M are hotter than CCI BR4, they are close to CCI450 mag primers.

Use other's experience - small rifle primer data for .473 diameter cartridges is extremely rare. Often getting stuff to work good is a cooperative venture.

I use CCI 41'with extruded powders not to exceed 45 grains in - 6mm CM. 6.5 CM, .243 Win. reformed SP Peterson .260 Rem brass. I got a real good deal on CCI 41 & I shoot lots of them in my AR (mil spec primer).

I use Rem 7 1/2's with ball powders like RS Hunter & Staball 6.5 in the same cartridges.

I use whatever I can get at cheapest prices.

Some interesting info:

Screenshot (546).png

Looking at Table 1, I sees that the Rem 7 1/2 is a real frisky small primer generating about 2303 K Pascals, real close to the CCI 200, a large rifle primer.

6.5 CM - max charges of 47 grains of R-S Hunter, velocities about 3,000 fps, accuracy was greatly improved with the Rem 7 1/2 vs CCI 41.
CCI 41 -300 yards double clusters of bullet holes appeared in targets about 4 inches apart.
Rem 7 1/2 - 300 yards single group about 4 inches.
Not award winning fine accuracy but it shows something.

6.5 CM - 123 H ELDM, with Rem 7 1/2's & 44.5 of Win Staball 6.5 - 100 yard groups

6 CM - Barnes Match Burner with CCI 41 & 42.0 AA 4350. - 100 yard groups.

Brass for both was once fired Fed 6.5 CM, small primer, both neck turned.

IMG_2034.JPGIMG_1702 (2).JPG

Some other stuff;

Screenshot (911).png

Stats for the 6.5 CM load, Loading a big amount of 6.5 ammo using the 123 ELDM at 95 % probability (chop off both end tails of bell shaped curve, 2.5 at each end) indicates a average spread of about 18 fps. This could probably be improved with more care in loading ammo & timing of shots to get uniform barrel temps.

My attempt to make .22-.250 small primer brass from Fed 6.5 CM brass did not work out, I got lots of stress fracture indications at right angles to forces at shoulders. If somebody encouraged Privi to produce small primer .22-.250 brass it would sell good.

Last edited:

Recent Posts