Another desert rat

patrickjr

Hello all! New to this forum so I wanted to introduce myself

I'm a student here at the UofA and grew up my whole life in Tucson. I've hunted and shot since I was little, spent 8-9 years shooting lots of clay birds, and now I spend most of my free time hunting. Most of my hunting has been here in Az, with some short stints in Mexico and New Mexico.

Hunting coues deer is one of my passions and those of you who have hunted them, know that the ability to shoot to extended ranges is a necessity! Most of my coues deer have been taken with a 257 Weatherby, but I have also used 300WSM and 7STW. My longest shot on a coues deer is 525yards with the 257wby. The 110 accubond of of the 257 is kryptonite for these deer, it is rare to see them take a bullet and remain standing.

My longest kill shot was on a Coati mundi at 724 yards with a 6.5x284Norma. I still think it was luck

My favorite rifles I shoot are:
Vanguard in 257 Weatherby magnum -My hunting rifle
6.5x55 swedish mauser built in 1916
Rem 700 in 308 win
mossberg mvp in 223

I look forward to learning from this site and wish luck to everyone on finding components/ammo!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum from another Desert Rat and Tucson Native of some six decades. I hope to be able to get afield again one day and maybe we'll cross trails, although intend to look for some nice Mulies in the low hills and Desert flats.
That is when an ACCURATE and flat shooting rifle shows its true value!
Good luck at the U of A, too!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts