Almost too easy

Have some great memories hunting them with my granddad and his dog that I got him when he retired. Me and my buddies still get after them with dogs after deer season. But we hunt them with shotguns. Surround the tree, someone will shake a vine, then all hell breaks loose. Sounds like a small war.

Have some great memories hunting them with my granddad and his dog that I got him when he retired. Me and my buddies still get after them with dogs after deer season. But we hunt them with shotguns. Surround the tree, someone will shake a vine, then all hell breaks loose. Sounds like a small war.

That sounds oh so familiar. Myself and several uncles did exactly the same….I was always a bit handicapped with my choosing to hunt with a rifle. I didn't get as many as them.

As they love to hide in vines or "roll" to the other side of the tree ….it
makes it really tough when you're by yourself. I would usually carry a long string, tie it to a small tree/bush, then go to the opposite side and jerk like heck on the string! The squirrel would often move so you can see them! memtb

Some of these stories had me laughing, others caused the dust in the air to get into my eyes a little.

Y'all reminded me of a memory that had slipped my mind. In Central Oregon we had lots of ground squirrels. If you flood irrigate they're a big problem. Grandad had me set up with a Stevens Favorite. Shooting squirrels was the only acceptable reason for not getting my chores done. Anyway, one day he spotted a new burrow of them within easy .22 range of the dining room window. Shooting down from the second story like that meant that we didn't need to worry about the occasional vehicle on the highway that was way down range. There we were set up on Grandmother's card table shooting them left and right when Grandmother chased us out of the house. We were letting her Bought Air out of the open window. Grandmother was all of 5'3" and only a darned fool argued with her. When her voice got raised it was time to go check the irrigation....

Thanks for reminding me of that day. I'd completely forgotten about it. I miss them both.