All around shootings - DIY

med358-boise

I have yet to find a set of commercially made shooting sticks or tripod that meets all my needs. The ones designed for standing really don't work well for sitting as the legs require to big a footprint to get spread out and really don't work well as an occasional trekking pole. The ones for sitting aren't tall enough for standing and many parts of where I hunt the sage brush is too high for even a sitting shot. Many of the standing tripods are also too heavy.

So this what I use. Homemade - three trekking pole zipped and bungeed together give the right amount of flex and sturdiness. The longer stick is the trekking pole and the shorter side stick is about 2 inches shorter and has no negative effect when taking a sitting shot. The shortest is the tripod leg and goes out in front. Tiny bit of practice and marking the poles for the extension proper extension length I can be setup for standing or sitting just as quick as any other sticks. I am only 5'9' so fully extended these work for standing with my legs flexed. I also carry a monopod that can be used for a rear stock support for longer standing shots or can double as a second trekking pole.

The daypack is configured to sit under my strong side elbow with a little downward pressure. If I can go prone, I can quickly unclip the dry bag and it is a rear rest.

The whole set up is minimal incremental weight when comparing to two trekking poles.

These setups are always a personal choice but this has worked very well for me and is the most versatile system I have found.

rMaHZho.jpg

Attachments

• shooting set up.jpg
    shooting set up.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I like diy and having tools that serve multiple purposes (minimalist mentality), though you tend to sacrifice a little overall performance here and there with that gear. Unless I'm wrong, here is the commercial version of what you seem to be doing with the poles. I use the quick stix adapter on my trekking poles.

I like diy and having tools that serve multiple purposes (minimalist mentality), though you tend to sacrifice a little overall performance here and there with that gear. Unless I'm wrong, here is the commercial version of what you seem to be doing with the poles. I use the quick stix adapter on my trekking poles.
It is indeed. Usually I don't worry about costs, but $170 delivered for what I was able to accomplish with about $10 of zip ties and bungee cord seemed a little over the top.

Yeah I don't use the whole system, but I bet 2 of the $36 adapters and a third pole would accomplish the same outcome. I have used poles strapped together, was taught this at a military mountaineering course. It is cheap, but slow to get in and out of. The adapters on the trekking poles work fast, just a snap and a click. Takes longer to get the pole strap off my wrist.😂

It is indeed. Usually I don't worry about costs, but $170 delivered for what I was able to accomplish with about $10 of zip ties and bungee cord seemed a little over the top.

Many years ago, I made 2 sets for wife and I. They're made from 1/2" x48" fiberglass rod. The fiberglass in the rod is linear with the rod meaning …..no fiberglass "fuzz" with use or exposure to elements.

They're pretty stiff and can help as a walking sick, mostly aides in balance when navigating deadfall, or if crossing a snow covered rock field helping to find the gaps between rocks that can break/twist an ankle…though not as strong as real walking sticks. They are small in dia. making them easy to carry in hand as they are smaller and lighter than many hiking sticks, pretty darn stiff, and can be quickly deployed for making a shot…..particularly useful on downhill shooting.

I put rubber, chair leg type covers on the base to protect the rod and give a larger footprint. Leather, surgical tubing, or other materials can be used to bind them together.

They can make 400 + yard shots very easy in rough terrain! memtb

1710692112600.jpeg

Many years ago, I made 2 sets for wife and I. They're made from 1/2" x48" fiberglass rod. The fiberglass in the rod is linear with the rod meaning …..no fiberglass "fuzz" with use or exposure to elements.

They're pretty stiff and can help as a walking sick, mostly aides in balance when navigating deadfall, or if crossing a snow covered rock field helping to find the gaps between rocks that can break/twist an ankle…though not as strong as real walking sticks. They are small in dia. making them easy to carry in hand as they are smaller and lighter than many hiking sticks, pretty darn stiff, and can be quickly deployed for making a shot…..particularly useful on downhill shooting.

I put rubber, chair leg type covers on the base to protect the rod and give a larger footprint. Leather, surgical tubing, or other materials can be used to bind them together.

They can make 400 + yard shots very easy in rough terrain! memtb

View attachment 554830
Yep, I have made several shooting sticks from 4 ft long 3/8" fiberglass electric fence poles, some castration bands, and 3/8" ID tubing. Cut to whatever length and assemble, takes only a few minutes. Last set I made cost under $10 (at Tractor Supply) to make, and they last for years. I've had this set for quite some time. I'm sure you could do a tripod in this manner if you felt the need.
IMG_5259.jpeg