Alberta WOLF HUNT

One Of the Best Wolf Outfitters is Lowell Davis, Alpine Outfitters, Grand Prairie, AB 780 539-4209.
Not cheap, full time outfitter, doesn't drink. Specializes in WOLF hunting. He has a web site.
Nat Lambeth

I have hunted with 3 different wolf outfitters in Alberta. A wolf is a target of opportunity which may come along when hunting other game. In my experience, most "Wolf outfits " don't know how to properly set up on wolves. The actual hunter success/opportunity rate for a wolf hunt is abysmal. I could have gone on a nice Yukon moose hunt for what I've wasted on wolf hunts.

Byron Wolf with Wolf Hunting Adventures is having a good season this winter. Works hard for his hunters. Look him up on Facebook. All hunting over baits.

Byron Wolf with Wolf Hunting Adventures is having a good season this winter. Works hard for his hunters. Look him up on Facebook. All hunting over baits.
Ditto... I hav hunted with two other outfits in Alberta. Byron is definitely a cut above the rest. Works hard. Good baits. The bait isn't hunted to death before you get there. He is a good man and a good hunter.

I live in Alberta and used to live in Grande Prairie and Slave Lake. I don't guide but have shot lots of Wolves. Spot and stalk hunting for wolves will have about a zero success factor. Sitting and calling for wolves, if the caller is real good, is about 20%. The only sure way to take wolf is over bait.

If you want to find a good wolf guide the relevant questions are, how many baits does he have out, how many are actively being hit, how far apart does he have baits spread out. If it isn't at least 400 Klms in circumference from his base of operations he isn't hunting a big enough territory. Does he have blinds set up, are they heated. Dec, Jan and Feb the temp can easily get to -40F, without a heated blind, even at -10F, most guys will never be able to stay out long enough to last dawn to dusk, You can't night hunt in Alberta.

Ask him what his success rate was the last couple of years, anything 50% or better on a 7-10 day hunt is a great guide. Make sure you talk to some clients who were unsuccessful as well as ones who bagged a wolf. A wolf is smart and learns quickly. They are hard to take, which is what makes them a great trophy.

For those of you that are interested, we have lots of snow, warmer than usual winter and LOTS of wolves around. This would be a great year to come up hunting and many of the guides can fit in hunters on short notice. With the Canadian dollar being 75 cents, so 1.34 Canadian for every U.S. dollar the cost to travel to Canada is a pretty good deal too.

Not to hijack at all. I did see this thread when I posted mine. Just wondering how it works for a guy wanting a tag while on a white tail hunt?
How much does it cost for the tag and so forth.
I would treat this as secondary to the deer hunt obviously and a target or opportunity, but would hate to be out there deer hunting and see a wolf/wolves and not have a tag.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.