Alaskan Guide Rifle

Although I do believe what you have is a great choice, for me it would be the biggest thing I could carry. I'm not sure if the tried and true double barrel or lever action would be best. Follow up shots would be my main concern. But I wouldn't take my own advice.....so you better not either.

Ok guys. I got some good news. The boss wants me to start guiding Brown Bear hunts in our area on the Alaskan Peninsula. Starting this May!! I couldn't be more excited and willing to learn this endeavor. The big bears have always fascinated me.
I have my 375 RBH that I've been using up in the Alaska arctic to guide with. I had to use a 1 type fits all bullet because of the dynamics involved with multiple species and distances involved if I had to dispatch a wounded animal. So I was using the 281 grain Hammer hunter. I now have a 338 RBH coming to fill that roll. Now the 375 becomes a dedicated Brown Bear guide rifle. I'll be pulling the 3x15 nightforce off it and transferring it to the 338 RBH. I have a 2x10 nightforce to put on the 375 now.
I am thinking the 299 sledge hammer for the 375 is the top choice for its new duties. But I'm wondering if I should have a 305 claw hammer ready in the pipe for those times a charge may take place in the searching for a wounded Bear in the thick alders if and when it happens.
What say you guys?
I've made my mind up as you can tell but I'm interested in hearing your input on this
I have no idea what a RBH is but I do have a 375 rum that runs 300,s at an honest 2900. With a Woodleigh 300 I would feel very comfortable. And I would lose the nightforce scope. VX6 leupold illuminated. over a 100 ft of view and if you can not hit a brown bear with a 6x scope a trip to the eye doctor is recommended. Woodliegh protected tip.

I have no idea what a RBH is but I do have a 375 rum that runs 300,s at an honest 2900. With a Woodleigh 300 I would feel very comfortable. And I would lose the nightforce scope. VX6 leupold illuminated. over a 100 ft of view and if you can not hit a brown bear with a 6x scope a trip to the eye doctor is recommended. Woodliegh protected tip.
I had a 375 rum
Sold it
RBH is on par with the RUM
I'll keep the nightforce as 2 power offers a very good veiw at close range.
Woodleigh makes a very good bullet I agree

Gotta go with a controlled round feed bolt or a big lever. I know the ar is a good platform but lots of faith to put in a auto in a heavy cal in that situation and not the easiest gun to carry. Ruger has some great offerings in the ruger guide gun

Gotta go with a controlled round feed bolt or a big lever. I know the ar is a good platform but lots of faith to put in a auto in a heavy cal in that situation and not the easiest gun to carry. Ruger has some great offerings in the ruger guide gun

I don't know if you are referring I am using a AR or semi auto? I am not.

I carried a 375 up there for years, just hard to beat with a partition, not to mention newer outstanding bullets like Accubonds A frames or the hammers for that matter. My opinion, and only because you asked, I would probably look at a bullet like the A FRAME, I'm not that familiar with Hammers yet. While certainly you may be calling on the bullet to stop a charge, more likely you're going to be shooting to prevent a charge, the bear spins or rolls, gets up and is heading into the alders. I'd want a bullet that is going to work going north to south or south to north. I kinda like the A frame for that application.
I've no issue with a 2x low end scope, large field of view, on a .375. If I was buying one for your application I'd go 1.5 x 5
I probably won't be up in King Salmon until late May. I may go up earlier to hang out at the Narrows just to help out a little, kinda doubt it. Yours is a young mans game. Get in touch when you're in town I'll buy you a "pop" and you can tell me stories.

I carried a 375 up there for years, just hard to beat with a partition, not to mention newer outstanding bullets like Accubonds A frames or the hammers for that matter. My opinion, and only because you asked, I would probably look at a bullet like the A FRAME, I'm not that familiar with Hammers yet. While certainly you may be calling on the bullet to stop a charge, more likely you're going to be shooting to prevent a charge, the bear spins or rolls, gets up and is heading into the alders. I'd want a bullet that is going to work going north to south or south to north. I kinda like the A frame for that application.
I've no issue with a 2x low end scope, large field of view, on a .375. If I was buying one for your application I'd go 1.5 x 5
I probably won't be up in King Salmon until late May. I may go up earlier to hang out at the Narrows just to help out a little, kinda doubt it. Yours is a young mans game. Get in touch when you're in town I'll buy you a "pop" and you can tell me stories.

My buddy is a Ziess dealer. I've started looking at the 1x6 scope. It's tempting me.
I'll be in King Salmon on the 7th yo head out to camp next day most likely.
Maybe back in town on or around the 28-29 of May
First round of "pop" is on me!

I had a 375 rum
Sold it
RBH is on par with the RUM
I'll keep the nightforce as 2 power offers a very good veiw at close range.
Woodleigh makes a very good bullet I agree
I know nightforce is very good glass but the VX6 has euro quality clarity, heavy crosshairs and the ability to fire up the red dot in the misty, rainy, dusk conditions is a plus to me. Also it is a true one power. I do not have a real master eye but this scope is easy for me to shoot both eyes open. over a hundred feet of view. When you pull it up it is like crosshairs appear by magic. I spent 10 years on the kenai and hunted between skilak and tustemena and also iniskin bay and lake clark pass. Do yourself a favor and at least try this scope out.

When I was there I built a 416 weatherby on a 17 enfield. 400 trophy bonded at 2750. A real thumper. But that rifle will teach you bad habits. Scope would always tap my forehead. Developed a flinch that was very hard to get rid of. But that rifle hits on a whole another level.

When I was there I built a 416 weatherby on a 17 enfield. 400 trophy bonded at 2750. A real thumper. But that rifle will teach you bad habits. Scope would always tap my forehead. Developed a flinch that was very hard to get rid of. But that rifle hits on a whole another level.
It weighed 10 pounds loaded. Do it again I would put mercury reducers in it as I am not a fan of a break as the concussion of the gas to me is worse than the recoil unless you want to always wear game ears. What did you say? lol

I still have that rifle. I am saving to go with Rob Dunham for buffalo. The barrel is only .750 at the muzzle. I am going to call Carson and have him make me a 6 contour at .825. That will help.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.