Affordable starter/donor rifle

Anything based off the 700 platform or the Tikka platform with give you the most affordable options and MOST options. Savage next IMO. Savage changes bottom metals up quite often and aftermarket stocks are going to be limited to an extent. That being said, they offer the easiest, most affordable, barrel and bolt head switch. Reason ARC and Bighorn went that route is just that reason, it works and is a afforded option. Anyways… take your time and look for a deal as it seems you have plenty of time to figure out your best road map for his rifle.

Interested in the tricks to make a Savage smoother (maybe I'm already doing them and maybe not), but perhaps that ought to be it's own thread?
That would be a interesting thread for me. I would like to see what others have done. It could save me some aggravation & money.

Good Morning!

Here's my plan, and I need you suggestions.

I'd like to buy my son an affordable "starter" gun that he can hunt with for a few years. He's 10, this year he killed his first deer with a Ruger American in 6.5CM. My plan is to upgrade the rifle over the years for major milestones (new barrel at 16, new stock at 18, new scope at 21, other bits/pieces along the way for stellar report cards or seasons).

My request from you folks is suggestions for an affordable starter rifle (I don't necessarily care about which cartridge, we can get into that later, although I like the idea of .270). He will be hunting mule deer, elk and black bear. Which starter rifle provides the easiest modularity and is affordable to get him into his own rifle? Initial thoughts would be any of the Savage 110's for modularity, but that's not what I would necessarily consider affordable for a kids gun. Would the Axis II be as modular?

Thanks everyone. If you have links to threads with builds off an affordable platform, please share.

I would think that a Savage Axis II in .270 would be a great choice. As you know the Axis II comes with the Accutrigger & the XP comes with a decent scope at a really good price. I've made 600+ yard shots with them. Of course at 600 yards the great old .270 is just getting it's wind & doesn't go transonic until much further down the way. Just My Experiences. You'll get a lot of good ones here. Good luck. Proud of what you're doing 👍

The Savage is easily modified with lots of aftermarket components. The action can be rough and heavy. With that said, a little elbow grease can sure help that. Not cure, but help. The Tikka on the other hand has a nice action from the start and again a little elbow grease makes it even better. My choice of the Tikka would be T3x because it has the safety selection for on safe and bolt still being operational. There are plenty of great choices mentioned here. I'm just a poor boy who actually uses these cheaper actions for all around use. Either will serve him well and I'm sure will please him just like the most expensive you can buy. What you are doing here is an excellent idea. Wish I had thought of this with my son. He just didn't and doesn't have the interest in it and is off to college, (Late start on kids for me). I think the bonding experience you will get and the knowledge he will receive in this, if helping is priceless regardless of choice between brands.

Good question, I guess because I didn't think I could "diy in the garage" like I could a savage. If I'm wrong, then a 700 would likely be a better option. My semi-custom that took me a Long time to get is built off a 700, but I bought a barrel blank and had a smith chamber and true the action (no idea whether or not it actually needed that). I just assumed that a savage is easier.
You can do a "rem/age" using a barrel nut just like a savage. I know x-caliber sells prefits, and I'm sure there are many others.

I haven't heard of essential tremor before. I'll have him look into that.
We don't have emergency communication yet. That's one of a couple things we are looking into.
Thanks!

You can do a "rem/age" using a barrel nut just like a savage. I know x-caliber sells prefits, and I'm sure there are many others.
McGowen and Pac-Nor immediately come to mind, and I'm positive that is not the entire list of barrel makers offering that option.
McGowen even offers the system for Howa actions aka "Howage".

Great advice, I've not done research on Pac Nor, but there seems to be a lot of happy McGowen customers on LRH.
Look at Preferred Barrel Blanks also, TT Bryce. I've used 3 of their prefits and all shoot 1/2 MOA with very little load work up. Their 750 straight taper contour with straight or spiral twist fluting is what I've used on 2 of mine. One other is not fluted at all. Here's the 308 18" 750 straight taper. Super accurate.

Attachments

• 5E2F528D-880D-463E-BFD2-E6F7E3480AC2.jpeg
    5E2F528D-880D-463E-BFD2-E6F7E3480AC2.jpeg
    365.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 4685B27A-1DBE-4881-ACF2-A2354053D6CC.jpeg
    4685B27A-1DBE-4881-ACF2-A2354053D6CC.jpeg
    339.6 KB · Views: 27
Tikka's and Savages add a lot of aggravation when it comes to aftermarket parts, not saying they are bad options, but I have been down this path. Savage has changed models, and designs to where it is not unreasonable to expect to get stuff that does not fit with your particular option, then throw in company employees that know nothing about what they are selling.

If you plan on doing your own barrel intalls from pre fits, get the action wrench first.

I have had feeding problems on Savages double stack blind mags, lot of money down a rat hole if you happen to get one like this.

I hate the plastic on tikka's, but their actions are smooth. Tikka(sako) usually have long throats on the brand new barrel(European Spec CIP spec). So, look before you leap. There is a Savage Shooter's site where issues can be resolved, including bolt lift kits and bolt heads that have been squared.

Re sale on Savage customs really stink. I bought three Savage single shots for cheap money with McMillen stocks, Hart, Lilja, Brux barrel, Sharpshooter and Rifle basic triggers.

Great advice, I've not done research on Pac Nor, but there seems to be a lot of happy McGowen customers on LRH.
Pac-Nor has been around for a while and is an excellent company. They make a lot of pre-fits for many manufacturers (https://pac-nor.com/prefit/). I am happy they are back operational after the fire.

Tikka's and Savages add a lot of aggravation when it comes to aftermarket parts, not saying they are bad options, but I have been down this path. Savage has changed models, and designs to where it is not unreasonable to expect to get stuff that does not fit with your particular option, then throw in company employees that know nothing about what they are selling.

If you plan on doing your own barrel intalls from pre fits, get the action wrench first.

I have had feeding problems on Savages double stack blind mags, lot of money down a rat hole if you happen to get one like this.

I hate the plastic on tikka's, but their actions are smooth. Tikka(sako) usually have long throats on the brand new barrel(European Spec CIP spec). So, look before you leap. There is a Savage Shooter's site where issues can be resolved, including bolt lift kits and bolt heads that have been squared.

Re sale on Savage customs really stink. I bought three Savage single shots for cheap money with McMillen stocks, Hart, Lilja, Brux barrel, Sharpshooter and Rifle basic triggers.
I never had the same issue as you. The only thing I have a problem with is choices in stock with a bottom release action; I do not recommend a bottom release action even with plenty of stock choices. I have no intention of selling any of my rifles, so resale cost is not an issue, besides I got them for budget DIY projects; all of mine have been shooters.