Ackley Improved Education

You are correct. The brass is thin and does not perform well to any pressure increases. I found this out with a contender 30 years ago. The gun was more than capable, but the cartridge was not.
Interesting, I have 300WM & 338WM Bonanza stamped (Hornady) brass that has held up very well. My 416 Rigby Hornady brass also stands up to wildcatting using hydro dies…

Cheers.

.30/30 AI cases can also be formed from the much stronger .375 Winchester brass if you want to push the pressures.
When you can find any that isn't actually .30-30 brass that has been necked up. Expect to PAY for it, too. Easiest to find is EAB Co., and necked up .30-30 is exactly what theirs is.

All of my .30-30 brass is old red & white box Federal.

When you can find any that isn't actually .30-30 brass that has been necked up. Expect to PAY for it, too. Easiest to find is EAB Co., and necked up .30-30 is exactly what theirs is.

All of my .30-30 brass is old red & white box Federal.

I have at least 3 bags of NOS Winchester .375 W and Starline makes it also. I haven't been too impressed with the EABCO brass that I have seen.

Starline lists it, can't recall actually finding any for sale. Is it really .375 Win brass or just .30-30 brass with a different head stamp?
NOS Win brass goes for a small fortune on GB and the like.

I use a fair number of "improved" cases, and one thing I can never wrap my head around is people who use "I don't want to waste time fireforming" as an excuse.
I would agree if you use the COW method or some other non-actual-shooting method, but if you are doing that, why? Load up some ammo, and shoot it.

In my experience, you need to put 100-200 rounds down a barrel anyway to get it smoothed out to where it isn't going to speed up anymore. You also need get your scope zeroed, and to get familiar with the new platform. That is when I am fireforming. Then I have 100-200 pieces of fireformed brass that I can start serious load development with.

In regards to brass life, I am on load number 18 on my current batch of 7TCU brass for my Remington bolt gun, and load number 16 on my 7TCU brass for my Encore handgun. My 7-08AI with Lapua brass is on load number 6, the rest (6TCU, 6.5-06AI, 338 Sherman Mega, 30-30AI, 7BRM, and 280AI) are all in the 3-5 firings range.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.
I feel the same way about "going through all that trouble" myself.
You'd think a neck down and FF on the first go around was extremely difficult listening to some.
Most of us put new cases through a bushing die and shoot our brass at reduced pressure one time anyhow regardless of cartridge.
Many many do not realize the precision available when " blowing them out"

Recent Posts