8133 or retumbo

28 Nosler, shot both 8133 and more recently Retumbo. Both gave similar velocities, no worries there. But the 8133 had given me high ES (25-60) over multiple loads, to the point I was questioning my loading practices. I decided to try Retumbo this week with 180 Hybrid & 175 A-frames. ES dropped to mid to low 'teens, and SD was single digits. Both 8133 & Retumbo were all shot with CCI-250 primers.

Just want some thoughts on which one would be the better powder. I have 8133 and have been using it in my 300 rum but have always heard Retumbo is the way to go. I also shoot some heavies in 7mm rem mag also but haven't done any load work up with 8133. I've never shot Retumbo deciding whether to buy an 8# can when it's available or just stick to the 8133 would like your thoughts.
With bullets over 200-G Retumbo is a great powder for magnum loads. I use a Lab Radar and have worked up many loads for 300 Win-Mags using 210 & 215-G Berger VLD and also Hornaday 212-G ELDX I neck turn my brass and use Redding type S dies. I had to switch to Hornaday brass cause the Nosler is good brass but my primer pockets were enlarging, to much pressure with the slower burning powder and pushing a big bullet FAST. So I shot up two 81-g of Retumbo with speeds up to 3115 but I had dime size groups at 100 yards at 79.5 grains and had less than 6 FPS variances in speed. My final speed was about 2945 FPS. All power is sensitive to temperature and Retumo is definitely one of them so when working up your powder load do not pick the fastest good group you shoot, pick the next good group down from that and do your bullet seating testing and seal your cartridges and you will have a kick *** load that shoots the same every time.

Just want some thoughts on which one would be the better powder. I have 8133 and have been using it in my 300 rum but have always heard Retumbo is the way to go. I also shoot some heavies in 7mm rem mag also but haven't done any load work up with 8133. I've never shot Retumbo deciding whether to buy an 8# can when it's available or just stick to the 8133 would like your thoughts.
I prefer Retumbo it's not as temp sensitive, clean and produces consistent loads. I use it for 26 NOSLER 129 gr and 142 gr ABLR, in my 7mm STW all bullit weights, in my 300 Norma mag, my 7mm Rem mag and my 300 Win mag. I've even found it to be more consistent than the Enduron's I load and test at 6,052 ft at 80 degrees and usually hunt above 10,000 ft at 10 to 30 degrees. Have never had a problem and I load pretty hot.

When I started reloading I used H4831 in 7mm RM but didn't shoot as well as CoreLokt factory. Went to H1000 and it shot like a different gun. Last weekend I drove across town to buy the last two pounds I could find locally cause everybody else was out. Based on the comments I will try Retumbo in a pinch, Thanks. Although a rookie I have learned when you see supplies of something you use drying up, stock up.

I shoot 98 Gr Retumbo in a 338 LM with a 300Gr Berger OTM.
MV=3006 fps at 70 degrees f; ES is usually less than or equal to 30 fps; sd averages around 11fps. Many folks may indicate that this load exceeds the maximum recommended load by quite alot. I am aware of this and have worked up to this level carefully and under the direction of my custom rifle builder. I would say I somewhere in the range of 4000 rounds with no accuracy deterioration, no throat erosion, no negatives other than the primer pockets...They tend to fail around 5 reloads. Also Lapua brass will give you case head separation, don't use that brass.

I'm running 8133 in my 28 Nosler with 195's and in my 300 RUM with 210 ABLRs. Had tried RL 33 and guns got dirty, fast. Rl 26 was better, but didn't like the pressures I saw during summer months. 8133 has been cleaner by far for both guns and has been more consistent through wide temps(95°-5°). I have not played with Retumbo as after finding loads for both guns with 8133, I was pretty content. Good luck.

why not go on line to the powder makers sites and see what they show for load data. Hodgdon has theirs, and now sells Hodgdon, IMR and Win. powders so all available for information purposes. Also Alliant and Western have sites with free load data.

WHENEVER ANYONE SHOOTS MOLY COATED BULLETS, the Bore requires cleaning EVERY 5 to 6 rounds fired. Its FILTHY BLACK by then. If the MOLY was APPLIED to the BULLETS PROPERLY, there will be LITTLE TO ZERO COPPER! ONLY MOLY and Burnt Powder residue.
[email protected]
The barrel is made of CM/ chrome-moly/ chromium molybdenum carbon steel! Why are you yelling.

I shoot hbn. Never shot molly coated bullets in my life

All of my results with 8133 100 round through each as of now in 338 lapua 300 Berger, 300 rum 230 Berger, 28 nosler 195EOL and 264 win mag 147 ELD-M heavy for caliber bullets have all been clean only issue is higher ES'S
Stainless and chrome moly.
All are about 100 fps faster with 8133 than Retumbo. I am finding that I have to tune seating depths quite a bit more to try to drop the ES and I can't get them where I want them. I have tried multiple primer options.
The name of the game is consistency a high ES to me is 20 and over.
I personally hate RL powders even their less temperature sensitive ones have all burned me at one time or another. Depending on what shooting you're doing and what you're goal is rl26 rl16 rl33 show more of a change then hodgdon extreme or the new IMR powders (for me). I know I'm going to get flamed for this myself and multiple others have gone away from n570 it is a barrel eater pretty stable great velocities. I don't care how accurate something is it has to be repeatable specially at longer distances.

Anyone use US-869? Always wanted to try it in the 338 Lapua but never did. I see that stuff everywhere in southern AZ it seems. Retumbo was my go to, and still use it in the 7RM

Anyone use US-869? Always wanted to try it in the 338 Lapua but never did. I see that stuff everywhere in southern AZ it seems. Retumbo was my go to, and still use it in the 7RM

I have an 8# jug from a dozen years ago, and while I played with it in the 300RUM, it never gave the speed and groups Retumbo did. YMMV. But it was very cheap at $35 for 8#