7wsm with Reloder 26

maninthemaze

I've been shooting my 7wsm 168gr Berger with 69 grains of H1000 at round 2950fps. I don't have a chronograph, just using the bullet drop on a ballistic calculator. Anyways, I'm thinking about dropping the Berger bullets and going with the 168 Nosler LRAB. When shooting milk jugs at around 500 yards, I've experienced 2 pass throughs. Didn't even realize I'd hit it, except I saw the water draining out. I'm also wanting to try some Reloder 26 powder and see if I can speed it up some.

Alliant's website lists the 162 Amax at 3171fps with 71.2 grains of R26 powder. I know I should start off lower than this, obviously, but what would be a good starting point?

Also, is neck turning necessary and would it help my groups?

How many reloads before I have to anneal the brass?

Sorry for questions, just trying to improve my game.

Thanks for any help!!!!

according to sierra bullets you do not neck turn unless your chamber is cut for it. what rifle ?? i would load 3 or 4 each of the following along with the 162 amax. - 71.0, 70.5, 70.0, 69.5 and shoot the lowest charge groups first.

I have a bunch of advice for you about several things you said. This is all my opinion based on what I've seen/learned.

1st - if you are going to a new bullet go to the 175 grain ELD-X. Based on gel block tests it looks to have better terminal performance than the ABLRs which appear to be very soft (so they expand at very long range). It also has a better real world BC as its tip won't melt as will the ABLR tips.

Get a chrono. You are blind without one. You can pick up a CED Millenium 2 for around $200 bucks.

Neck turning is not worth the trouble unless you are competing in bench rest.

Anneal every 2 or 3 resizes.

RL-26 is for real. Seems to be top of the list for velocity. HOWEVER it will exhibit moderate temperature drift whereas the H1000 you have been using is rock solid in that department. I would go with the RL-26 but develop your loads in temperatures similar to those in which you will use the ammo.

That's for the help. I'll definitely be purchasing a chronograph in the near future. Maybe even an RCBS chargemaster combo while I'm spending my tax return.

And I'm sure my 24" barrel is part of the problem.

The rifle is a Stiller Tac 300 action, Krieger 24" 1-9 twist barrel, Manners T2A, Calvin Elite with a Vortex PST 6-24

Seems like those new XLD-X bullets are really hard to come by. Maybe in the future they'll be more readily available.

How many rounds can I expect out of a 7WSM before the barrel starts to head south? I don't want to waste my barrel chasing my tail.

One more question, at what range do guys work up your loads. I've been using 100 yards but am thinking about moving out to 200, which is the farthest my current rifle range has. In order to shoot any further I'd have to move over to some public hunting ground and set up there.

Thanks again

morning, I load Barnes 145gr LRX., 66.5gr 4831ssc. Winchester brass, 215 pr.

very accurate load. groups shot at 150yds. I have a custom 7wsm. 28.5"barrel.

721 rem. action, timmey trigger, and McGowen barrel, and H&S tactic precision

stock. I shoot the same bullet in my custom 7mm wbee. kills and shoots very well.

soon as this weather settles, I bought some Lapua .284 150gr sencar-L bullets.

and Barnes 160gr. TSX bullets. more fun.gun)

I have a bunch of advice for you about several things you said. This is all my opinion based on what I've seen/learned.

1st - if you are going to a new bullet go to the 175 grain ELD-X. Based on gel block tests it looks to have better terminal performance than the ABLRs which appear to be very soft (so they expand at very long range). It also has a better real world BC as its tip won't melt as will the ABLR tips.

Get a chrono. You are blind without one. You can pick up a CED Millenium 2 for around $200 bucks.

Neck turning is not worth the trouble unless you are competing in bench rest.

Anneal every 2 or 3 resizes.

RL-26 is for real. Seems to be top of the list for velocity. HOWEVER it will exhibit moderate temperature drift whereas the H1000 you have been using is rock solid in that department. I would go with the RL-26 but develop your loads in temperatures similar to those in which you will use the ammo.

Exactly. My same experience. RL 26 is much (75-100 fps) faster in my 240 wby and 6.5x284. Looks like a great short mag powder....

Thanks for the replies. I've just ordered a chronograph. It should be here some time next week. First I'll check some of my original loads to see how far off I was with the fps then start working up some new ones with the LRAB.

I've been using RL26 now for about two months and found a great shooting load with 162gr A-Max bullet. 71gr RL26 from Alliant website and CCI 250 primer and of course WW brass.

Thanks guys, I will be working up a load as soon as my chronograph gets here. And I've also ordered parts to make a brass annealer. I can't justify buying something for $500 when I can make it $100.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.