7STW vs. 300WM for elk hunting rifle??

toader

Seriously considering a 7STW for my next custom hunting rifle - what are the pros/cons with the 7STW versus a 300WM??

Rifle will be used out west for elk & mule deer.

Thanks!!!

Both will do just fine. It boils down to distance and the 300 having more energy and able to send heavier bullets. In the last few years we have taken literally dozens of elk with the 300 win. Never tracked a one. I have no complaints.

The introduction of the 215 Berger Hybrid was a breath of serious long range life for the 300 win. Pretty darn impressive in the wind and took my largest bull to date.

Jeff

do you like red or green apples?
these two rounds are very similar with the 7 liking to speed out there a bit more and the 30 liking to toss a heavy slug a bit more. You could beat yourself up on specifics but when all is said and done I'll shoot my 7's for deer and look bigger in bore for bigger critters.

Both are great calibers and I'd actually say to have both in your safe if you've got the scratch to do so.

Start shopping around for the rifle brand you want, in the configuration you want, and see what they have in those two calibers. Maybe you will find something you can't live without.

I really don't think you could go wrong with either cartridge.

If you're wanting a Remington 700 action for your STW, I suggest buying one of the new 700 Long Range rifles in 7mm RemMag, and having the chambered opened up to 7mm STW by your gunsmith. While he's in there, I'd have him replace that X-Mark *** with an old style Remington trigger that can actually be tuned, and bed the action, and float the barrel.

Those are a couple of fairly inexpensive modifications, and should help out accuracy.

I have parts ordered for 2 builds.....have to decide what calibers I want??

BAT HRPIC repeater actions, mag boltface, melonited

McMillan Rem Hunter stocks

2 barrels ordered:

284 caliber = Bartlein stainless 5R, 1-9 twist, #4 contour

30 caliber = Bartlein stainless 5R, 1-10 twist, #3B contour

Timney Calvin Elite triggers

Badger M4 bottom metal, Rem mag box, springs, & followers

Swarovski Z6 2.5-15x56 7A reticle

Nightforce ATACR 5.5-25x56 MOAR reticle

Seekins rings

I have parts ordered for 2 builds.....have to decide what calibers I want??

BAT HRPIC repeater actions, mag boltface, melonited

McMillan Rem Hunter stocks

2 barrels ordered:

284 caliber = Bartlein stainless 5R, 1-9 twist, #4 contour

30 caliber = Bartlein stainless 5R, 1-10 twist, #3B contour

Timney Calvin Elite triggers

Badger M4 bottom metal, Rem mag box, springs, & followers

Swarovski Z6 2.5-15x56 7A reticle

Nightforce ATACR 5.5-25x56 MOAR reticle

Seekins rings
I'd build 1 7mm STW, and 1 .300 Ackley Improved Magnum. :D

The Ackley is one bad beast with 210 or heavier Bergers.

300WM looking at 180 grain Accubonds or TTSX

7STW looking at 165 Accubonds or 168 Bergers

Why you ask??
.30 caliber, I would go for 210, 215, or 230 Bergers, since you have a 1:10 twist, I'd take full advantage of that.

In the 7mm STW, I'd go with some Berger 180 Hybrids or 180 VLD's, since you have a 1:9, might as well take full advantage of that twist-rate, as well.

The reason I mention heavies, is because the large case capacities on the STW and the .300 WM or larger, are perfect for pushing the big bullets around without having to work up too much of a sweat.

Both will be great for elk and deer out west, and the ultimate decision is probably which caliber bullet do you like more. That said the 300 win mag is going to shoot a heavier bullet, so hit just a bit harder, which is a good thing for elk. In my opinion the 300 win mag is just about the most versatile cartridge out there. You just cannot go wrong with a 300 win mag shooting heavy 200+ grain bullets.

Maybe give a look at the 200 Accubond over the 180, as well as the heavy Bergers that have been mentioned.

Go run some basic energy and wind drift numbers out to some longer distances, and you'll start getting a feel for why heavy (high b.c.) bullets dominate long range hunting. Light bullets just don't match up.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.