7STW Refresh

jweigel

With all the Nosler 28 info since its inception, I want to post the results of a refresh of an old school 7STW. This gun started out as a Remington Sendero. I picked it up used and shot 700+ rounds through it myself over the last couple years. I added a Greybull Stock and Timney Trigger and topped with a VX6 4x24. Very accurate with 180 VLDs. I tried and tried to get 195VLD and even Chinchaga 196g bullets to shoot but they would not pattern below 1 MOA. Given the $$ we push through these guns I thought time to re-barrel to match today's heavy bullets.

I ordered a Bartlein #18 Medium Palma 5R 30" finished in a 8.25" twist. I had Bartlein flute it. Dropped the barrel, Holland HD Recoil lug, and gun off with Nathan Dagley with Straight Shot Gunsmithing here in ND. Nathan blueprinted the action, Fluted the bolt, installed and chambered the new barrel. Nathan had previously modified the action to accommodate a Wyatts 4" mag well. Had my Nosler brass annealed, sized and ready. Loaded up some fire forming rounds with 76g of N570, F215 primers and 195 VLD bullets to break in barrel and test seating depth.

IMG_20170803_182501.jpg

The chamber with the new barrel was .020 shorter the factory (....throat erosion???) with the lands at 3.18 with the 195s. CTOL was 3.166. Fired one shot and cleaned for 15 rounds. Here is the first 5 shots through the new barrel gun at 200 yards...cleaning in between every shot.
IMG_20170803_181525.jpg
Dial to get on target and forgot I was at 200 yards. Next 5 shots.
IMG_20170803_184130.jpg
Next five
IMG_20170803_190400.jpg

Finished fire forming after 50 rounds, never ever having so many hits touching at 200 yards. These 76g fire form loads average overall around 3000 fps. Best seating depth was around .030 OTL or 3.150 CTOL with an COAL of 3.900. Started working up powder to test for pressure. Loaded one each 76,77,78,79,80,81. I started to get ejector marks at 80g and very strong marks but no hard bold lift at 81. Speed was just over 3200.
IMG_20170813_210818.jpg
It was rare to have a group over .5 moa. Even the higher velocity was still darn good (crazy good for me).
I did load an 82 grain and did get a hard bold lift.

I went back and did three shot groups from 76,77 and 78. All were less then .5 moa and most interesting is the velocities were all about the same with the average of the 78 being slower then the 76. Obviously there was node here and I settled on 78 grains which is just over 3000 fps.

7STW78G.JPG
ES are under 20. Should be easy on brass and still get the job done. After around 80 rounds since the last cleaning, I gave it a good cleaning and was amazed at how little copper there was.

Thanks to Bartlein and Nathan at SSG.

I think this old caliber can still run with the new dogs.

jjw
ND

Cool man!! You've shared much of that with me via text message, but it still looks better with a bigger screen on my computer.
We've got to take the toys out one of these days...

I've mentioned to you about the 28Nos bbl. that my brother gave me the other day. I just talked to Mathias today about the build and we will be starting the rebuild on my 7rum in November or December. The bbl. is a 28" Brux + brake threaded for a m700 and Cerracoated in gray already. I still need a recoil lug and decent trigger, but I'm keeping the lss stock and simply re-inletting for the bigger barrel (#5 contour).

Just to follow up, I shot to 800 yards to validate drops. It was a little slow as I hit high. After readjusting speed (left BC alone) I ended up at 3090 fps with the 78 grain load to get the drop spot on. This is a mild to medium load with it being 3 - 4 grains below pressure. Should give good brass life and yet be very deadly. Already harvested a cow elk in WY just after the August 15th opener. More elk hunting to test the gun later this fall.

jjw
ND

Today I remembered something I consider important for 7STW shooters. I had one built using a 28" barrel. After a couple years I heard about the 7RUM and had it rechambered to that cartridge. It gained a whooping twenty-five feet per second with the mid-weight bullets I was using.

I did somewhat the same thing late last year on my STW, pulled the Brux 1/10 and had my smith install a Proof Research 1/8 CF Sendero profile 26". Did the same break in but with 180 Vld's. Couple weeks ago I was going out to work on my drops and I had a latter of 195 EOL with me and figured I been bringing them along for a couple months give em a chance. At that point I had about 50 rounds through the tube since the last cleaning, New nosler brass, N570, GM215M, 0.030 off lands, ladder was (1) 76, (2) 77, (2)78, (2) 79. I'm using a Magnito speed these days so shot these without it. First three shots were one hole, by this time I had been shooting several hours and it was getting hot requiring 5+ minutes of cooling time between shots so I called it quits. Went home and loaded up (3) 195's @ 77 gr to try on my next outing. They shot .291", the 180's I had been shooting were consistently in the .5 to .6 at 3,150 FPS. So now I'm at rethinking bullets!
Shot some more for speed and 2 groups last weekend when we had a cool front push through. Best group was .181 worst .294 @3,004 FPS average with SD 6.0! I believe my work up is done! Now on to the drops!

Rem 700 blueprinted, pined .190 recoil lug, Jewel trigger at 2 lbs, McMillin Edge Rem hunter stock, Proof Research carbon fiber 1/8 26.5" with Christensen Arms titanium side port break. Current glass is Nightforce ACTAR 5X25x56 2nd FP MOAR-T.

I did somewhat the same thing late last year on my STW, pulled the Brux 1/10 and had my smith install a Proof Research 1/8 CF Sendero profile 26". Did the same break in but with 180 Vld's. Couple weeks ago I was going out to work on my drops and I had a latter of 195 EOL with me and figured I been bringing them along for a couple months give em a chance. At that point I had about 50 rounds through the tube since the last cleaning, New nosler brass, N570, GM215M, 0.030 off lands, ladder was (1) 76, (2) 77, (2)78, (2) 79. I'm using a Magnito speed these days so shot these without it. First three shots were one hole, by this time I had been shooting several hours and it was getting hot requiring 5+ minutes of cooling time between shots so I called it quits. Went home and loaded up (3) 195's @ 77 gr to try on my next outing. They shot .291", the 180's I had been shooting were consistently in the .5 to .6 at 3,150 FPS. So now I'm at rethinking bullets!
Shot some more for speed and 2 groups last weekend when we had a cool front push through. Best group was .181 worst .294 @3,004 FPS average with SD 6.0! I believe my work up is done! Now on to the drops!

Rem 700 blueprinted, pined .190 recoil lug, Jewel trigger at 2 lbs, McMillin Edge Rem hunter stock, Proof Research carbon fiber 1/8 26.5" with Christensen Arms titanium side port break. Current glass is Nightforce ACTAR 5X25x56 2nd FP MOAR-T.
How much weight difference between barrels both in sendero contours?

The Barrel that I replaced was a fluted heavy Palma so this PR CF is about 2 lbs lighter if I Remember correctly.. with the Nightforce ACTAR I am under 10 lbs. If I were to do it again I would go with the Sendero light profile and shave 6 more ounces. Will be swapping scopes for next season to the Swarovski X5 to loose that same weight...

The Barrel that I replaced was a fluted heavy Palma so this PR CF is about 2 lbs lighter if I Remember correctly.. with the Nightforce ACTAR I am under 10 lbs. If I were to do it again I would go with the Sendero light profile and shave 6 more ounces. Will be swapping scopes for next season to the Swarovski X5 to loose that same weight...
Thanks

As my eyes age and i find need more and more magnification, I bumped my scopes down to get a better scope on the smaller guns. This meant the STW needed a new scope. I was all set to get a Mark 5HD in a 5-25 when they came out 7-35. Place and order for the TMOA Plus model only to have ti back ordered for several months. Changed to the Impact 60. Had Richard Near of Near Manufacturing work up a one piece 35mm mount as one piece mounts w/o a rail were non existent.

Just reset zero today and snapped the following pictures.

To cow elk tags to fill in WY this month so it will get put through the paces. Still shooting the load info as provided above.

jjw
ND
IMG_20190816_111522.jpg
IMG_20190816_111522.jpg
IMG_20190816_111531.jpg
IMG_20190816_111548.jpg
IMG_20190816_111602.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.