7mm pistol

PFCSkoug

Ive always been interested in the idea of a long range bolt action pistol, i just want to know what your favorite pistol would be that wouldnt break the bank (to much:)) and what would be your favorite 7mm round for a good all around hunting gun
THanks
PFCSkoug

I think you need to be more specefic on what you would like to do with the pistol and what you would like to hunt with the rifle for a good answer from some of these guys.

The easiest way would be to find a Savage Striker and have it rebarreled with the caliber you want. The trigger needs work but you can have it redone.
Or an XP 100 both of which you have to find used as they don't make them anymore.
You could also get an MOA MOA Corporation and have Rich make what you want. He is a great guy to work with. I got one for silhouettes and ended up liking it for hunting even more. I have two, one in 6.5x284 and 7br (for silhouettes) and another in 7 Sundance (376 Steyr necked down - Rich now lives in Sundance).
You can change the barrels almost as fast as a TC but there is a pin that locks in the barrel so it is headspaced the same each time. Rich fits the barrel to each action and then with his wrench you can unscrew them to change'em.
I used Ernie's in CO a few years ago and really liked it and had to get one. Ernie's son had a nice group with it at 1k and that sold me as to how accurate it could be.
If you can get to WI you can try mine out, I shoot just north of Milwaukee.

Mike

Hwy Mike, your leaving out the HS's!!! for Long range you can't go wrong with a 284 win, a 7 WSM, or Ernies favorite the 7 Dakota. a 7-08 would work to a moderate range as well.
nmhunter

Hey Mike, your leaving out the HS's!!! for Long range you can't go wrong with a 284 win, a 7 WSM, or Ernies favorite the 7 Dakota. a 7-08 would work to a moderate range as well.
nmhunter

PFC

I would recomend the 7/08 rem in any of the good bolt action
pistols for all around performance and accurace.

Based on the 308 it is intrinsically accurate and very capable at
extreme pistol ranges (6 to 700yrds) for hunting and 800yrds and
beyond for paper.

Mine has a heavy (#7) tapered 16.250" barrel on a remingtion XP 100
and has droped deer at close to 500yrds.

Some on this site have made much longer shots with the 7/08 rem.

The 7/08 is available,affordable and fun to shoot.

The 7/08 should fit the bill
J E CUSTOM

yote fever i live in eastern iowa about 3 hours or so from milwaukee so when things warm up i might have to take you up on that offer and as for what im looking for i really like the look of a center grip bolt pistol for moderate range hunting (out to 500yrds) for deer and maybe something i can have handy for coyotes and just imforable paper punching.

First, welcome to LRH.
Center-grips involve Strikers (semi-centergrip), orginal XP and the H-S Precision.
I have also taken deer and antelope with a 7-08 XP out to 500 and a tad further. Never lost one with it either that I can remember.
If I had to do it over again, I would bump the capacity up.
For 500 yards on deer I would lean to the 284 Win. family or something based on the WSM.
25 caliber on up to 30 would be my thoughts.
Personally, I like the 6.5 and the 7mm.
Custom XP's are not usually cheap.

I don't think you can go wrong with a 7mm-08 no matter what gun it is in. I really like my 7mm-08 in my 15" Encore. Ammo is east to find,It is priced right if you are on a tight budget. The barrels are easy to change out if you are not a gunsmith. Lots of aftermarket parts around. I am recoil sensitve (sissy) and I don't mind the kick of this round in a hand gun.There are a ton of these around so you should be able to find somebody to let you shoot one before you buy. I personally don't shoot past 200yds with mine because I am not that good of a shot with it yet. I f I sound like a T/C homer I guess I am but they are cheap and all bot one I have ever owned shoot good right out of the box...Jim

If you do make a trip to shoot with yotefever when its warm out I should have a 7wsm striker for you to try too. But it wont be a centergrip...

Maybe someday hunlee will meatup with all of you so alittle range range shooting.Going to be getting new scope very soon and going to load up some 7-30 water ammo.Will be fun for sure.Maybe some prairie dog at 300 to 500 and maybe deer to 250 to 300,Hunlee going to try.Sure hunlee will use 375 windchester for deer but the windchester for closer shooting.7-30 water for my long ranger

hunlee

Tom has a point about the HS's. IMO they have the finest stock I've ever shot.
I have an Anschutz that was modified to center grip and it has the HS stock.
For silhouettes I prefer a center grip but for hunting the rear grip works too since I use a bipod or shooting sticks.

Mike

one more question for you guys would it be possible to take one of remingtons xp-100 varment rifles actions and use that as a pistol action???? or where there changes on the action to extensive to make it a rifle to make it back into a pistol

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.