7mm mag

I used a 7mm Rem Mag (BAR) in '73 on deer ( I grew up and hunted near Beaumont, Tx ) used the factory 175 corlokt around 30yds,and no bloodshot meat, made a small entrance, golf ball exit. I later went to a .280 Remington; used the 150 corlokt factory load at 15yds, same thing. I began handloading and used the 139 Hornady at 276 steps, small entrance, found the bullet under skin off side, no bloodshot meat. I later went back to a Mod 700 7mm Rem Mag and handloaded the 150 Partition around 3200, shot a Georgia buck around 15yds ( I know, I could have used my pistol on all the close ones, ha) small entrance, nickel size exit, lungs were jello. No meat bloodshot. I gave an early model Sendero in 7 STW to a pastor friend of mine. I handloaded the Nosler 140BT exclusively for that rifle, gave him a 100rds with the rifle. He killed whitetail, muledeer, even a big buffalo bull ( shot him behind the ear) and had great results, but almost all those shots were further out. A "sleeper" bullet is the 160 Sierra GK Hollow Point. I haven't used it, but I'm going to. Its a tad tougher than the 160 GK ( another Star!) and it has a good rep for holding together. Some folks like a bullet to stay inside, but I've never seen one do that which didn't bloodshot a lot. I think it just goes with that kind of performance. I like two holes, which means a bullet tough enough to take a good, hard angling shot too. The Federal Premium 160 partition factory ammo is one I gave my Pastor in Mont Belvieu,Tx for his 7mm Rem Mag ( a Mod 700 BDL SS, which I also gave him) He has taken a ton of deer/hogs, exotics, and even a black bear in Canada. Good luck to you Pard, and Happy Easter!

Got to echo what Rev Jim says. 160 Sierra Gameking is a hammer on whitetail's. I said it in a earlier post. Also f you havn't got any IMR 4350, 71 grns of H-1000 is a real smoker in a 7 mag. Little bit warm, but shoots lights out in mine. Good shooting to ya!

DT

Hey y'all..I'm new to the mag word and I have acquired a 7mm Rem Mag....I hunt Louisiana whitetails and would like input on a good round. Thanks!

Mostly under 200 yards....I buy at the time but plan on reloading

Keep it simple! At that range, any bullet/ammo (legal for your hunting area; I prefer heavier bullets) that groups well out of your rifle will do. Shot placement is key.

When I am using a flat shooter and know I will be in tighter country, I do +1"@100. That way I can "finesse" a shot through a hole in the brush w/o a lot of hassle. Then if a longer shot (around 300) comes up, I just hold high on the critter. If I know I am out in the prairie/high desert, I will do a +1.5 for coyotes but +3 for deer/antelope. A good compromise for deer is +2"@100. I mentioned I grew up across the Sabine river from you, so it took me 20yrs to ever get a long shot even on a pipeline ROW! When I got out West ( the high desert here in Utah & WY), I was intimidated by the distances until I could practice at those ranges, etc. I still prefer to hunt the edges of Aspen/Dark Timber, and do a +1@100 for there. I have missed far more game shooting over than under!

2" high at 100
on all calibers .257 to .308

in my 7mag I use 140gr NAB in one, and 160 gr NPT in another.
My 280 AI likes Nosler 150 gr LRAB ammo

I've always zeroed at 100 yards, 3 1/2 high. That's with a 160 gr bullet. As I said earlier the loads I shoot are warm( start low an work up)! 3/12 high at 100 yards will put ya in the ball park from zero to 500 yards. At 500 I've always put the cross hairs bout even with a whitetail's back an the rest is history. :) might not work for some but it does for me. However this was before scopes got the point they are today(milldot , adj turrent, etc) but it does work. Just find your comfort zone an have fun! Hope this helps.

DT

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.